Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy m7 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Recently I've been experiencing my brightness change depending on what is on the scren (i.e. If the background is a darker color like dark blue or black the brightness goes down, while if the background is a lighter color like white, it returns to the original brightness/gets brighter).
I want to disable it. I find it very bothersome.

I tried looking into solutions and came across http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/How-do-I-disable-auto-brightness-of-th... but the solution provided isn't available to me. I went to control panel and followed the steps some of the replies stated, but the options said to follow are not there - specifically, there is no "Appearance and Personalization" menu in my control panel.

It could still be something with the AMD (not quite sure what that is anyway, except that it's apparently private). But as I said, I have no idea how to go about doing this  - since those steps didn't work.

Help would be much appreciated.

Edit: I tried following another step listed (at a link location someone put) and found Adaptive Brightness in power settings. They were already off...but I turned them on then off again...so we shall see what comes of it.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi@DallasJames1996,

Welcome to the HP Forum! I am pleased that you have become a HP Forum member. It is such a wonderful site to find answers and tips. Here is a link to guide you to having the most rewarding experience and answer any concerns about posting: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. What is your exact model of Envy M7 notebook? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I grasp that the brightness of your display changes automatically and you find it very bothersome. You have tried some suggestions you found here but have not been successful. You did eventually find the Adaptive brightness option but it was already off. You have tried toggling it on and back off again and will see how that goes. Here is a link to HP Products - Changing Display Settings, Background Image, Icons, and Screen Saver (Windows 10, 7) I am not sure if this would apply or not, but here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Using the ATI Radeon Vari-Bright Feature. Please let me know if this helped. 

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them. To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Turning the option off and on again seemed to work at first, but I am noticing it happening again.

So I followed and looked into your links,
None of the solutions provided seem to work - but perhaps I am just not understanding something within said solutons.

The problem is still occurring.

HP Recommended

Hi @Dallas-James1996,

Thank you for the update. If you have a restore point from before this occurred you can try using it.  HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎. If that is not a possibility, then please contact HP Support  for further assistance.  Contact HP Support. Fill out the online form and follow the prompts. With your permission, they can remotely access your system to help find and fix issues. Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I had the same problem and found a solution.  I'm using an HP Omen 15, with a dedicated Nvidia graphics card and integrated Intel graphics on the motherboard, and Windows 10.  The problem stems from the settings for Intel graphics.  The PC switches between the dedicated Nvidia graphics card and the integrated Intel graphics depending on the graphics load.  When under low load, such as web browsing, the computer switches to the Intel graphics and the auto brightness kicks in.  Here are the fixes that I used to disable auto brightness:

Step 1:  Turn off Adaptive Brightness.  

Go to the Control Panel and select Power Options.

Select "Change plan settings" next to whatever plan is currently in use.

Select "Change advanced power settings"

Click the + next to Display to expand the settings

Click the + next to Enable adaptive brightness

Make sure both settings are "Off" for battery and plugged in.

Click Apply and OK

Click Save changes

Step 2:  Update Intel graphics drivers.  

This step is crucial.  I was running old drivers and Windows Update doesn't update the Intel graphics drivers.  There was a bug in the old drivers that did not disable Display Power Saving Technology even if it was already set to disable.  The latest drivers, as of 1/19/2017, works correctly.  

Go to the Control Panel and select Device Manager

Click on the > next to Display adapters

Right-click on the Intel HD Graphics and select "Update Driver Software"

Wait for the update to complete then restart the PC.

Step 3:  Change settings in the Intel Graphics Control Panel

Go to the Control Panel and select Intel HD Graphics

Select "Power"

Go to "Plugged In" and change the setting to Maximum Performance

Go to "On Battery" and Disable the Display Power Saving Technology.  The power plan can be Balanced, or Maximum Performance, it doesn't matter.

Click "Apply"

Check to see if auto dimming / auto brightness is truly disabled by opening up a web browser and open two tabs, one tab with a white screen and one tab with a black screen.  You can google search "white screen" or "black screen" to find white and black webpages.  Then toggle between the tabs and watch how the screen reacts.  Auto dimming should be disabled.  

I tried many of the solutions posted by others that I found from google searching.  I had my settings correct, but updating the Intel drivers is what did the trick for me.  Hope this helps anyone who happens to come across this post.  

HP Recommended

Kestrel253 wrote:

I had the same problem and found a solution.  I'm using an HP Omen 15, with a dedicated Nvidia graphics card and integrated Intel graphics on the motherboard, and Windows 10.  The problem stems from the settings for Intel graphics.  The PC switches between the dedicated Nvidia graphics card and the integrated Intel graphics depending on the graphics load.  When under low load, such as web browsing, the computer switches to the Intel graphics and the auto brightness kicks in.  Here are the fixes that I used to disable auto brightness:

Step 1:  Turn off Adaptive Brightness.  

Go to the Control Panel and select Power Options.

Select "Change plan settings" next to whatever plan is currently in use.

Select "Change advanced power settings"

Click the + next to Display to expand the settings

Click the + next to Enable adaptive brightness

Make sure both settings are "Off" for battery and plugged in.

Click Apply and OK

Click Save changes

Step 2:  Update Intel graphics drivers.  

This step is crucial.  I was running old drivers and Windows Update doesn't update the Intel graphics drivers.  There was a bug in the old drivers that did not disable Display Power Saving Technology even if it was already set to disable.  The latest drivers, as of 1/19/2017, works correctly.  

Go to the Control Panel and select Device Manager

Click on the > next to Display adapters

Right-click on the Intel HD Graphics and select "Update Driver Software"

Wait for the update to complete then restart the PC.

Step 3:  Change settings in the Intel Graphics Control Panel

Go to the Control Panel and select Intel HD Graphics

Select "Power"

Go to "Plugged In" and change the setting to Maximum Performance

Go to "On Battery" and Disable the Display Power Saving Technology.  The power plan can be Balanced, or Maximum Performance, it doesn't matter.

Click "Apply"

Check to see if auto dimming / auto brightness is truly disabled by opening up a web browser and open two tabs, one tab with a white screen and one tab with a black screen.  You can google search "white screen" or "black screen" to find white and black webpages.  Then toggle between the tabs and watch how the screen reacts.  Auto dimming should be disabled.  

I tried many of the solutions posted by others that I found from google searching.  I had my settings correct, but updating the Intel drivers is what did the trick for me.  Hope this helps anyone who happens to come across this post.  

@Kestrel253, thank you so much for taking your time to explain everything. This fixed the problem that was bugging me for ages.

HP Recommended

Kestrel253! You are the hero that everyone needs! Thank you so much! Such an annoying and stupid bug!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.