Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Recently, my notebook has seemed especially overworked even when performing light processes. Whenever I start it up (and also sometimes randomly while I am using it for light tasks), it is much slower than it has been in the past, and when I check the tast manager, it says that the disk is in 90-100% almost every single time. Then I look at the programs using the disk, and almost all of them are using it with a rate of 0 MB/s, and all others are using it at a fairly slow rate. I know that it is normal for notebooks to slow down over time (mine is a little over a year old), but I am just wondering if this is an expected behavior. I find it weird that the disk is processing so furiously, but it appears to me that no programs are really using it. Below, I have attached images of my complete task manager a few minutes after startup.

My processor is an Intel i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, and I have 12GB of RAM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MirandaSnow ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forums.  What you have happening here is not a hardware issue.  This is a common issue with windows 8.1 and an update.

Here are some links that I was able to find that should help you out with this issue.

Windows 8.1 100% disk usage

Windows 8 keeps slows down to 100% disk usage and hangs.

How to Fix: Windows 8 100% Disk Usage Issue

Let me know how things go with this.

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MirandaSnow ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forums.  What you have happening here is not a hardware issue.  This is a common issue with windows 8.1 and an update.

Here are some links that I was able to find that should help you out with this issue.

Windows 8.1 100% disk usage

Windows 8 keeps slows down to 100% disk usage and hangs.

How to Fix: Windows 8 100% Disk Usage Issue

Let me know how things go with this.

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello HP Support,

I just wanted to say big thank you... 

How to Fix: Windows 8 100% Disk Usage Issue This blog helped me fix the issue and also able to identify few other cuplrits. 

Thanks a lot - my laptop back to normal now :generic:

HP Recommended

Dient Word for me.

HP Recommended

Task Manager shows the disk to be at 100% utilization despite a light or no workload, and the system may experience lag or become unresponsive. In addition, the system event log contains numerous events with Event ID 129, which represent resets of the disk controller.

Cause
While device resets can be caused by a varying number of factors, we are aware of issues with some Advanced Host Controller Interface PCI-Express(AHCI PCIe) models that causes these symptoms in Windows 10 when running with the inbox StorAHCI.sys driver. Due to a firmware bug, the Solid-state drive (SSD) does not properly complete input/output when Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode is enabled. As a result, the Windows storage stack attempts to reset the device after waiting on unresponsive reads or writes for a period of time.

Step 1: Open the task manager. First we're gonna open the task manager and take a look at our disk usages. ... Step 2: Open cmd.exe. So now that we know that our disk usages is too high we're gonna try to fix that. ... Step 3: Execute the cmd commend. ... Step 4: Fixed!

or

This is what you should do:

1. Right Click 'My Computer', select 'Properties', then on the left panel, Click 'Advanced System Settings'.

You can also access this by going to Control Panel (Windows Key + R, type 'Control Panel'), changing the 'View by' to 'Small icons', selecting 'System', then the 'Advanced System Settings'.

2. Select the 'Advanced' tab, then under 'Performance', click the 'Settings...' button.

3. Select the 'Advanced' tab, then under 'Virtual Memory', click the 'Change..' button.

4. Uncheck the 'Automatically manage paging file for all drives' checkbox.

5. Select the 'Custom size' radio button.

Now, this is the important part:

6. On the 'Initial size (MB)' box, type in the size of your RAM, as instructed, in Megabytes.

7. On the 'Maximum size (MB)' box, type in the equivalent of twice your RAM size (Yes, you wil need to use your calculator)

8. Click the 'Set' button

9. Click all the following 'Ok' and 'Apply' buttons, and restart your system.

This should work.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem too.

My laptop HP with spec AMD  A10-5745M APU with Radeon Graphics 2.10 GHz and RAM 4GB, 64 but using windows10.

I had tried to do as instuction but it is still have the same problems when I worked and the temperature of laptop become hot also.

Could you please give me some advise and solution as well...

thanks

Regards

Doxah

HP Recommended

That didn't work.

I tried several fixes and only got temporary relief. 2 HP COMPUTERS, one 4 years old and one BRAND NEW. My brand new Dell doesn't have this problem.

I'm convinced that users and so-called "Hp Experts" just find random "advanced settings" and such and post them just as "click-bait" . Since the 100% usage problem is intermittant, some people report back that their problem was fixed (even though it wasn't actually) and the so-called Expert's ego is somehow enhanced.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.