Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So many issues with same problem. I found this other thread when I originally googled it

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Left-Hinge-of-an-HP-Envy-17-Not...

Couldn't reply to it, now 13 pages long, I think HP have shut it down. So I started my own post.

And now have found your thread so posting here too.

Clear design flaw. and surely should have been picked up during the testing phase before release!

HP Recommended

Did you have to pay money? They are refusing to fix mine but did give me a 250.00 coupon to buy a new one. Not sure I want to......this ordeal has been horrific. Shame on you HP!

HP Recommended

Haven't heard from them yet. But pretty pissed off to see how frequent the issue is and no fix posted.

HP Recommended

I also have the exact same problem.  My Envy 17m was purchased in May of 2016 (and it is still under warranty) and broke in January of this year. 

On 2/7/17, I contacted HP customer support via a chat and explained my problem.  Customer Support  persisted in referring to this breakage as "an accident".  I made it clear that the unit is less than a year old and that the problem was NOT due to any accident.

This is the response I got:   "It is not possible to break it due to the normal usage.  We will take the system for repair but it would be the paid one.  Would you like to proceed?  I do understand that the repair will cost you, as per HP policy, if any notebook damaged by any accident the normal factory warranty will not cover the accidental damage. " Of course, I let her know how upset I was with HP.

So then I go and research my broken hinge problem on the internet and find that this has been an ongoing problem with this type of laptop from HP since around 2005.  And HP has not corrected the problem yet? 

I have been trying to find someone at HP who would help me get my Envy 17 fixed because it is not usable as is. I don't want to get into a conversation with another customer support person like the one I was dealing with.  Could someone at HP please help me out here?

HP Recommended

I am running into a similar problem with my HP Envy TouchSmart 17.   I usually leave it with the top open, but recently noticed that whenever I open or close the laptop the left side of the bottom pops open.  When I press it back together it will not stay together.

I seem to notice similar threads, but I am wondering what HP is doing about this popping/hinge broken issue  as I want to keep using this laptop as it does what I need it to do and I don't have the budget to replace it.  Smiley Sad

Thanks appreciate any advice on how to fix this issue cheaply and quickly.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem ... 

My HP Envy 17" laptop is my life. 

The left hinge is not looking good. When I open the laptop, I can see the metal and the plastic opening up. It started couple days back, now looks really ugly.

Need urgent help. I have a client presentation coming up.

HP Recommended

any response yet?

HP Recommended

I am having the same problems with my HP Envy TS m7 Notebook PC. I expected others to have this issue as one of my friends who has the name notebook is experiencing the same problem.  Although with my pc it is the right hinge by the AC power input that is coming apart. I have to gingerly open and close the notebook everytime otherwise it would come apart damaging other compenents inside. I believe my beat speakers have been affected by this damage as they no longer work properly after having problems with the case.  I went onto HP's website and was told it was not covered under the warranty that only lasted a year. This problem has started after 2 years of owning it and has only gotten worse up towards today. How were other owners able to get it repaired with little or no cost? If HP woul dnot fix it, any recommendation with how to repair my notebook? 

HP Recommended

@JBracer76

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hp offered to fix my 11 month old envy 17 for $708. and said it wasn;t under warranty because it had been dropped (it hasn;t).!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.