Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I bought an HP 8440p laptop (with Intel graphics) in order to repair it. The previous owner stated that it wouldn't turn on after Bios upgrade. The led lights are on and the fan works but the screen remains black. The same with external screen.

I took the hdd out and checked it out. It works fine and hidden partiotion with bios files is there.Then I took it back and tried to do a bios recovery by holding all four arrows down while powering the laptop. The padlock led blinks 4-5 times the the laptop shuts down, and after maybe 10 sec. it turns on with padlock led blinking and again after 5-10 sec. shuts down. It turns on now and padlock led doesn't blink.

I also downloaded latest bios for 8440p and run HP FirmwareUpdate tool with "Create bootable USB disk on key" option. The padlock led blinks continuosly, the laptop doesn't shut down, the fan speeds up but nothing happens. I let it work for more than 1/2 hour with no result.

Then I disassembled it and checked the motherboard under microscope but it seems ok. What is unusual unlike other laptops I couldn't find the graphics chip. There is one large chip but I presume that it isn't gpu since no cooler is on it.

Please help if you know what could be wrong here.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hey there,

The laptop is going to need to be serviced since the bios update failed. Call technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://goo.gl/kQDB

-Sean
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello;

I'm having the same problem with my daughters 8440p elitebook. The problem began after a bios update failed that the hp assistant tried to install. Can anyone help

HP Recommended
Hey there,

The laptop is going to need to be serviced since the bios update failed. Call technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://goo.gl/kQDB

-Sean
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.