Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, Well recently this happened to me twice so i have posted here to receive some help regarding it.
What actually happened was when i turned on my laptop ( plugged in ) , when it's about to load windows the black screen flashes a bit and then the laptop shuts down on itself. When i turn on again immediately it loaded as intended and normal.

2 days later this time it was not plugged in, the same thing happened. I haven't observed if the hp logo is seen but surely it shuts down before loading into windows and before the login screen appears.

What might be the issue?? also error check showed that there are no errors on c: drive.

PS : I'm using windows 8 pro and laptop is pavilion g4 2049tx

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

Here is a solution that has worked in the past, so it's worth trying.

1. Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, and remove the battery.

2. Hold the power button for thirty seconds.

3. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections.

4. Boot the notebook up and see if the battery will charge now.

Let me know if that solution works for you or not. Best of luck!

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I don't think u answered my question right.

Everything's fine my laptop battery is charging well and i can also turn on my laptop properly...

The only thing that needs to be asked is... is it normal for the laptop to turn off on itself  before the windows login screen comes  ? I switched on the laptop using the power button .. i have seen it turn off 2 times till now.

HP Recommended

No, it is not normal for it to turn off itself before the Windows Login screen comes up, unless the battery is at 1% and it dies by the time it makes it to that screen. 

The steps I provided were for a hard reset. It can be used to resolve other issues, not just battery issues.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

What does hard reset mean?? Okay according to u.. i should first unplug my ac adapter from laptop, remove its battery and then press and hold the power button for exactly 30 seconds right? And then put the battery back , connect the ac adapter and turn it on with power supply right?

As of now my laptop is booting up properly ... i used the disk error check of windows 8 to scan for hard drive errors in c: and it displayed no errors were found. I have no clue to why my laptop turned off automatically before loading windows twice earlier but then suppose it happens again for the third time i may follow ur instructions and see that it won't happen again in future for the fourth time.

PS: What does hard reset mean?? sorry i don't know about this... Laptop is pavilion g4 2049tx with windows 8 pro 64 bit

HP Recommended

That is correct. A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer's memory which may restore functionality. Resetting your computer forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware.

Performing a hard or forced reset may fix the following conditions:
  • Windows stops responding
  • Computer stops before Windows loads (no boot, blinking cursor on a black display, or errors relating to OS not found or missing drive)
  • Display suddenly goes blank and stays blank
  • Software freezes
  • Keyboard stops responding
  • The computer does not return from sleep or suspend mode
  • An external device stops responding (turn off power to the device in addition to performing the steps in this document)

Signature
HP Recommended

Ah i see... thanks for the little guide u gave me for hard reset.

As of now , my laptop is booting up properly without any problem. Is it okay if i continue using it like normal??

Or do i need to hard reset it.?

My thoughts are ... if it happens like that once again in the future, i'll go for the hard reset by pressing power button for 30 secs and follow ur steps.

HP Recommended

Sunny09,

I would continue using it like normal for now. If you have any more issues in the future, the hard reset would be the first thing I would try. 

However I hope it doesn't come to that and everything continues to work smoothly for you!

-Kyle

Signature
HP Recommended

Thank u Mr.Kyle_W very much... i'm glad u helped and wished me everything for good.

HP Recommended

So i have seen it happen again for the third time today. This time i haven't seen hp logo appear on screen, previously i didn't observe this.. but overall it won't load windows and usually it won't take more than a second to get past the hp logo (it's windows 8).

After it turned off on itself, i followed ur steps , removed the battery and connections then hold the power button for 30 secs and release, then put the battery and connections back and turned on. I hope this hard reset must have solved that problem, i strongly hope it doesn't happen again for the 4th time.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.