Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The guy that spends his own time making these wouldn't enjoy the term 'hacked up', and you don't have to use them. Prior to yesterday, I never had any indication my posts were being seen, likely people just posting anger then leaving.

As far as reliability, it's not fair to assume they won't work correctly or come with 'all kinds of issues'. They've worked well for me for almost a year, gaming is nice and smooth, unlike before. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't wasting my time.

HP Recommended

@houseofbacon wrote:

The guy that spends his own time making these wouldn't enjoy the term 'hacked up', and you don't have to use them. Prior to yesterday, I never had any indication my posts were being seen, likely people just posting anger then leaving.

As far as reliability, it's not fair to assume they won't work correctly or come with 'all kinds of issues'. They've worked well for me for almost a year, gaming is nice and smooth, unlike before. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't wasting my time.

The guy making them would agree with the term.  He is repackaging the drivers.  He does not code the driver. He puts together released drivers into a Mobiility package that he has made, along with his own code.  I am throughly impressed with what he has done, but I am not under any illusion as to what he has done either.  They are hacked together, and they do great things.  They also can and do come with some issues.

I am not asuming anything by the way.  I am reading the changelog, and going with user experiences, as well as my own.  They are certainly an alternative that people 'should' look into though.

HP Recommended

I eventually was able to work in bios long enough to turn off the switchable graphics in the bios (there is an option to do this).  What this does is to make the computer use the AMD graphics all the time. My computer was crashing every time my computer switched graphics, which us during start up.  After this I was able to start my computer in safe mode and then I went here and updated the drives for my model.

I still have switchable graphics turned off in the bios.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-drivers-software-forum/556469-drivers-hp-dv6-4xxx-dv6-6xxx-dv7-5x...

HP Recommended

@houseofbacon

Hey buddy, been checking out that leshcatlab site you've been posting. What's the latest stable you're aware of from that site? Seems a lot of them are betas that the person is pushing out for testing.

HP Recommended

I've got the June release and it's been working for me since the day it wa released.

HP Recommended

Hi Everybody...GREAT NEWS from the Guy who Started this Thread,

When I started this thread, the only way to update the driver for a ATI Mobility Radeon HD in a HP Pavilion was to use a custom modified driver.  Well, the good news is that Microsoft Updates now offers an ATI driver that works like a champ.  No more hassle of using mod drivers involving a fairly complex installation procedure.  Let me explain.

Certain HP Pavilions, like mine bought in August of 2010, had a crazy dual video GPU configuration called switchable graphics.  What that meant is this:  A basic Intel graphic module (primitive video card, essentially) was integrated with the motherboard.  Then the ATI card was added to the motherboard.  So, in effect, the Pavilion had a dual video solution.  When your Pav was plugged in the wall, the ATI was active.  But when your Pav ran on battery, the Intel kicked and took over (because it used less battery juice).  Well, nice idea...except the ATI driver needed to include the Intel driver as part of the driver package.  That was why we couldn't simply download the latest 'stock' driver directly from AMD-ATI.  The stock ATI drivers don't include the Intel driver...therefore, stock drivers wouldn't work unless they were modified.  As usual, a great HP concept shortchanged by poor execution.   Anyway, that misery of making mod drivers is now over!

Today, I installed a SSD in my old Pav...and decided to do a clean install of W7 Pro SP1 x64.  I dreaded the prospect of installing the ATI driver again.  Well, I always do MSFT updates before installing hardware drivers, because sometimes MSFT updates does offer newer and better drivers than the old shyte found in HP drivers.  I saw MSFT Update offered a shiny new ATI driver, so I thought **bleep**...why not give a try....worse it could do was crash my Pav and make it go black screen.  So, I did a system back-up with the native Windows utility (highly recommended before messing with ATI drivers) and created a restore point as well.

Well, I OKed the ATI driver download and automatic install from MSFT Updates...and kept my fingers crossed.

OMG, it worked great!   We older Pav owners now have a super easy way to install the latest ATI-Intel driver.  The only shortcoming is that the MSFT Update ATI driver does not include the Catalyst control panel....but who cares 'cuz who ever used that extra bloatware.

So, FOLKS, if you want to update your old Pav with the latest ATI driver, just head over to MSFT updates.

Well, this news should cinch this thread. 

Best wishes, Preston

HP Recommended

That doesn't work for me, at least in Windows 8.

Also, its only helpful to Fixed Mode folks, because you NEED the CCC to configure and use Dynamic Mode.

Can you do something for me?  Go to device manager and get the properties of the Intel and ATI device.  Who is the driver signed by and what version are they?

Are you certain it is switching to Intel when unplugged?

HP Recommended

I can't say whether or not the MSFT Updates ATI - Intel IDT driver will work in Windows 8.  My HP Pav is vintage July 2010...and HP never updated most drivers beyond 2010 and none beyond 2011.  I don't to care to learn thru trial & error whether those old drivers may work in W8.  My Pav is trapped in time per HP's design.

REGARDING the CURRENT MSFT Updates ATI driver for install in W7 SP1 x64, it works like a champ.  But, OK, a few more tech details are appropriate. 

When I started the bigest thread on the ATI driver about a year ago, I was performing a clean install of W7...and my goal was to use the latest drivers available anywhere.  Only the ATI driver was the headache.  I tried the easiest solutions first, which all failed, as follows: 

1.  Installation of the MSFT Update driver (in Fall 2011) produced a blank black screen.

2.  Installation of the THEN current driver from AMD-ATI would not install at all...because it did not contain the Intel IDT driver.

My solution was to modify the ATI driver by inserting the current Intel IDT driver.  Specifically, decompiling the ATI driver and recompiling it with the Intel driver included.  The method is similar to 'slipstreaming' a WIndows installation disc to include service packs, updates, & etc not contained in the original set-up disk.

FAST FORWARD TO LAST WEEK...when I decided to do a clean W7 install after putting a SSD in my old HP Pav.

I figured I would simply use my old 'mod' driver for ATI - Intel...rather than modding a current AMD-ATI driver.  But I do MSFT Updates before installing hardware drivers.  I saw MSFT Updates offered the ATI driver (which didn't mention anything about Intel).  So, for the Shytes of it, I installed that driver.  I didn't think it would work...but it did.

SPECIFICALLY...YOUR QUESTIONS

Although the MSFT Update ATI driver worked, you wonder whether the Intel IDT driver was installed along with the ATI too?  And whether my HP Pav switches to Intel IDT mode while in battery operation?   Good questions.

Q#1:  Device Manager - Display Adapters shows both the ATI and Intel drivers are installed.  BUT I can't claim that the Intel driver was installed along with the ATI driver.  That Intel driver could be a W7 native driver installed by W7 prior to the ATI install.  So, I see your rationale for checking the Intel's version number.  I didn't check for version...because it all worked great.

Q#2:  Is my Pav switching to Intel when on battery power?  I believe so.  But I didn't bother to confirm because of two reasons:  1:  My past experiences showed that if the Intel driver was either not installed or was not working in conjunction with the ATI, the instant result was a blank black screen of death.  2.  When I go on battery power, there is a slightly noticable change in visual quality...but the monitor is displaying properly (no black screen). 

Quite frankly, I could care less whether the Intel kicks in or not...so long as my Pav properly displays when plugged or unplugged.   These ATI - Intel drivers are tricky business and a major pain to mod correctly.  So, I consider myself lucky that MSFT Updates provided a quick, easy, painless solution....and I am not going to mess with that darn driver any further.  If Intel IDT doesn't kick in on battery power, I can live with it.

My laptop is at another location.  When I next meet my laptop--and if I remember your request, I will glady provide you with the version numbers and signers. 

ALSO, if you want my mod drivers which worked great too (after a tricky install process), I will put them in Dropbox for you to access....but I think my mod ATI driver was based on their v10.8...obviously there are newer versions...which I tried to mod but would not work properly...and others reported the same...so I realy believe the mod solution ends at v10.8.  Anyway, ask and you will receive.

Preston

HP Recommended

OPPS -- TYPO CORRECTION on Mod ATI - Intel IDT Version Number.

My previous post stated ATI version 10.8 was my last MOD versions...my bad...it is v11.8 (based on AMD-ATI versioning sequence, not HP's).

I discovered that ATI versions 11.2 and 11.8 worked excellent for modding.  But versions 11.5 (which was a buggy ATI driver to start with) and 11.9 would not work.  I believe ATI 'stock' versions 11.9 and beyond won't mod correctly for use with older ATI - Intel IDT switchable graphics....but I have not tried modding the latest ATI stock version...so who knows?

Preston 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had the exact same problem. Thank god I had purchase an extended warranty, the problem was the motherboard. They had to change it, and now its working great. I too, thought it was my graphic card that had a problem, but no it was my motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.