Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Very interesting thread.

I'm also an IT researcher and was investigating by myself the solution for quite a time (with a little help from HP support that was indeed, like others, not very usefull).

I bought a convertible Spectre x360 13 inches ( 13-AC0XX ) in march 2017 and had this issue since the beginning: rando freezes for 3-30 seconds. I had to close and re-open the computer to solve the issue.

As asked by HP support, I did an extended hardware test and it was OK, updating everything possible with HP Assistant, updating the latest BIOS (I now have F 34) and still was having freezing issues.

I noticed that when I used Deezer (a software to play music online) in the background during all day I had no freeze. This software uses the internet to donload music each time the track changes. I then thought it might be the sound system or the internet (wireless card). I was then playing music locally (without using internet) and had freezes randomly (especially when I used "offline" software for a long time: Excel, Word etc). I then thought it was a wireless card problem that caused the freeze when I was not using it for a certain period of time. Immediately I thought about a link between the power management and the wireless card. I changed the whole power management profile to "maximum performance" and still had freezes, but a little bit less. I also noticed that I had freezes mostly on battery (but was not completely sure).

At that point, I have to say I was very close to KC_Syd solution.

But then I found this thread and I read carefully each post, until KC_Syd's post, I was so happy to find others having similar problems and searching hard for the solution. We all have to admit HP did not help us and should listen to the community, especially KC_Syd !

Anyway, I immediately tried KC_Syd solution and indeed my wireless card updated using the device manager (no update was found using the HP Assistant tool). The version I'm using now is 19.71.0.4  - 6/25/2017 .

I also unchecked  "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the power management tab of the wireless card device properties window. I then changed the power settings as described and it seems that the issue is solved !

We are all very thanksfull to KC_Syd ! 

Now, HP, listen to us : please review carefully KC_Syd's post, try to understand that hundreds or maybe thouthands of users have the same issue and deploy an official solution to that problem. Talk to Intel if needed (if it's related to intel's wireless adapter power management mechanism and/or intel's wireless drivers).

Please HP, talk to us now; we want to know if you listened carefully and did something for this issue.

We want to know if you talked to Intel of that issue.

We want to know if you are about to release an official solution.

We want to know if you care about the invaluable advice the community is giving to you, for free !

We want to know if your engineers are working on this and are understanding what's going on.

Indeed, this laptop is very expensive (I paid mine 2998 Euros in France !!) and you should care a lot about customer satisfaction. Almost 3000 Euros for a laptop with this great community to save us, thank you so much!

We all hope to hear from you soon, HP!

HP Recommended

This is a further update on my case.  If you are following my posts you will know that I last reported (ten days ago, 17th August) that I had no more freezing issues after updating to the latest (as of that date) wifi driver from the Intel site (Date=17/05/2017     Version=19.70.0.5).

I have some good and some bad news to report.  The bad news is that laptop seizures returned back some 3 days ago (ALWAYS ON BATTERY, NEVER ON THE MAINS) . There was also an additional issue with Excel (again when on battery) which at random instances stopped responding (you could move the mouse, but the menu items were not responding, you couldn't access the cells ......).  The good news is that there is a new driver (!) from Intel which I have applied and so far I had no lock ups or excel problems when on battery.  This latest driver (Date=25/06/2017 Version=19.71.0.4)  is available via the Device Manager, and is not yet available on the Intel website. It would appear that at least Intel seems to be taking some action on this matter.  I didn't add any new applications to my pc over the last 10 days, but for sure there were windows 10 updates, and maybe this is what this latest version by Intel of the Wi-Fi driver came to address.

This is a list of history of the driver and freezing symptoms on my laptop.

[ 1 ]  15th August

Clean install of Windows 10             driver = Date=14/07/2016  Version=19.1.0.4

•   Freezing issues

[ 2 ]  15th August

Driver update via Device Manager       driver = Date=02/04/2017  Version=19.60.0.7

•   Freezing issues

[ 3 ]  17th August

Driver update via Intel website       driver = Date=17/05/2017    Version=19.70.0.5

• Freezing issue stopped initially, but reappeared 24th August 2017

[ 4 ]  26th August

Driver update via Device Manager       driver  = Date=25/06/2017  Version=19.71.0.4

• Freezing issue stopped

(date format is day/month/year)

( in additions to the driver updates, I have applied since the 15th August, the 2 additional steps of KC_Syd's method. Ie .  1]  Device Manager:  Network adapters:  Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265:  Power Management =>  'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power  UNTICKED      and         2]  Advanced Power Settings of the active power plan i am using:  Wireless Adapter Settings:  Power Saving Mode: On Battery  =>  Maximum Performance )

I would kindly ask all other members of this forum, who have reported that their problem was solved following adaptation of the KC_Syd steps,  if you can please each report which driver (code and date) you are using right now.  If you are on an older driver version than Date=25/06/2017, Version=19.71.0.4 ,  and you are not experiencing any spontaneous freezing problems, please also confirm that you are using the laptop on battery and not just on the mains power and whether you use excel frequently.

My two cents to HP.

Coming up with a beautiful hardware such as the Spectre x360, is of no use, if the software part of the equation makes the machine effectively inoperable.

At least for premium products and/or for a paid premium service the   Call/Chat center / ustomer support    needs some beefing up

• Introduce a ticket system
  • For serious, crippling issues such as this,  follow up with the customer till the issue is resolved.
  • Channel knowledge generated from these forums to the customer support  (when I contacted them a couple of times they were unaware of the KC_Syd solution and all they could do was to go mechanically through a standard list of troubleshooting steps which ended up being of no use)

Many consumers spent top dollar to buy an expensive product, not just for the top of the line specs and looks, but predominantly to have a piece of mind and to have effective support when that is needed; and not to have to spend hours, days and weeks troubleshooting and wondering whether they bought something which is defective. 

HP Recommended

Hello FrozenMario,

For my part, this version:

Driver update via Device Manager       driver = Date=02/04/2017  Version=19.60.0.7

is the one that solved it and is still on my computer. I use the battery extensively and have not had a single issue since. You seem to have had an extra problem unfortunately 😞

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue and have also done all the steps you have refrenced. I also don't have too much installed except Chrome and Office 2013. Would love someone to figure it out.

HP Recommended

Hi @alisonriveira,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding audio issues with the computer random computer freezes. I also read about KC_Syd solution. It has been taken cognizance of. Thank you for the same. I am really glad that the issue has been resolved. 

Thank you for displaying great magnanimity and concern by keeping several others in mind. It has been noted that this solution works.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Computer momentarily freezing several times a day. It's more common when on battery and it seems getting worse with the time. The workaround with WIFI driver does not work for me. 

What seemingly helps is to play a movie in the background, just to give some constant load to the processor. For me it seems like the processor is unstable when the CPU load is low.

HP Recommended
@papa559 Check your power settings. There are certain options to limit processor speed or even stop it at certain times.

Might help,worth a try.
HP Recommended

Yes, it make sense. What I tried, was to increase minimum processor state to 100% (as in high performance regime) but it didn't help much. On the other hand, today (after all day of work on power saver mode) the laptop didn't freeze yet. Yesterday it frozen several times within one hour from the start. It's really confusing.

HP Recommended
I have the same issue and this is after I got it back from repair. Has been defective since I purchased it in August. Definitely seems related to the power since it does not appear to freeze when plugged in. Did everything KC said and still freezing on battery.☹️ Prior to doing what KC said i was on the phone 3 times to HP to fix and they did everything including wiping the computer and starting from scratch. Freezes even with only factory software on it. Sometimes it will not even boot as it freezes during the boot on battery. Any suggestions? Desperately want to get it to work because I do love it and it cost a butt load. Any help would be appreciated. I have the 13" spectre 360 2 in 1- 2017 model with 16 GB Ram and 512 HD. Thanks!
HP Recommended

i had the same issue,mainly when in flight mode strangely enough.

i updated all drivers, checked bios, reset computer, uninstalled and reinstalled programs. turned off all load bearing programs such as drop box and adobe but still the device kept freezing every 5 to 10 minutes after use.

i have do one thing that seems to have fixed it, at least for the last 6 hours or so.

i have disable 3 of the 4 human interface device drivers.(highlighted below).

there seems to be no other issues, but i have no really tried everything to test if this has upset other functions, but so far so good.

HP you need to get your finger out on this and get a fix for everyone in place.

good luck out there

2.PNG

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.