Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy Touchsmart 17 J-060US
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I do a lot of highlight copy-paste operations.  Is there a good summary of how to do these with this notebook?  They designed the touchpad without the right/left mouse buttons and do not seem to have something that functions like left click to hold so you can move and highlight.

If I do not happen to have my wireless mouse, doing the basic operations get interesting.

Word and Excel:  No swipes to highlight blocks.  You seem to have to use the shift and arrow keys to highlight and then keyboard ctrl-c,x,v

Web documents.  touch the screen to highlight a word,then find the little anchor and move it to highlight the block you want.  Then either keyboard shortcuts or if you tap the touchpad with two fingers you may get the left-click menu or you may remove your highlighted blocks.

Are there simpler, less complex ways to handle something that you can do easily with a mouse?  Or do I need to make sure the mouse is tethered to the notebook?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@greener333 ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forums.  Here are a couple links that you may find useful.

TouchPad and Keyboard User Guide.

Keyboard Shortcuts

I hope these help you.

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  The links can be very useful.  Unfortunately, neither of the links provides an answer to my question of how to use the Envy Touchsmart Synaptics pad to block highlight, copy cut and paste as you would with a mouse.

Your general touch pad description shows a mousepad with right-click and left-click bars at the bottom of the pad.  The Envy Touchsmart doesn't have those pads.  The user's manual says the bottom right and left corners act like the right and left clicks.  I don't know how to get those results from mine.  The Synaptics control panel doesn't show that as something that can be turned on and off.

The second link is very useful, but unfortunately it does not cover the Synaptics touchpad question I had.

Since the users manual, the Synaptics controls and nowhere else mentions it, I'm lead to believe that I bought a laptop that doesn't have these capabilities without adding a real mouse.  My fault for assuming it acted like all the other laptops I've had.

Otherwise this laptop works very nicely.  I just need to remember to bring the USB wireless mouse with me.

HP Recommended

The right and left lower corners of the mousepad should act like the right and left mouse buttons.  I went out today and checked a couple HP laptops and, sure enough, the Synaptics touch pads on those functioned that way.  Mine does not and I find no settings that disable that function. 

Trying to contact HP support, but if you try through the computer, I'm gettng an internal server error. Sounds like I'm not the only one with a computer problem.

HP Recommended

@greener333 ,

Thank you for posting back.  Here is how you need to contact support.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank you again and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you.

I contacted support aboit 4 hours ago.  After working for an hour or so with no results, "we" de ided to do a system recovery.  I made the mistake of copying 35gb of data files to the hd.  Recovery with backup took 3 hours.  Tecn support shirt ended so we start again tomorrow afternoon.  Think it will be short.  I just tested the touchpad and no change.

HP Recommended

Tech support decided the problem was hardware and arranged shipment for rerpair.  Terrible phone connection, but the TSwas professional.

HP Recommended

I just spent about fifteen hundred or so on a new HP Envy. However there are no buttons with the touchpad to allow me to copy and paste text. I read online to click the curser on the text and swipe your hand but that did nothing. Do I get my money back or can you tell me how to simply copy text?

HP Recommended

I just spent about fifteen hundred or so on a new HP Envy. However there are no buttons with the touchpad to allow me to copy and paste text. I read online to click the curser on the text and swipe your hand but that did nothing. Do I get my money back or can you tell me how to simply copy text?

HP Recommended

It is impossible to copy words or pictures with an HP Envy x360.  The system does not have that capability.  Suggest you consider some othe product if that is what you want to do.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.