Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've tried most everything (device manager, control panel mouse, touchpad software...), yet I still can't disable the touchpad on my new EliteBook 820. It's crazy sensitive, and makes typing a basic sentence nearly impossible unless I slow down to a crawl. Surely HP has a means for controlling this piece of hardware -- what is it?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

On the upper left corner of the touchpad there is a small rectangle. double tap it quickly to disable the touchpad. It will turn an amber color when the touchpad is disabled.

tpad.PNG

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Erico: Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, my EliteBook 820 does not have a rectangle in the upper left hand portion of the touchpad. There is a small dot, but nothing happens upon doubleclicking the dot. You can see what it looks like here.

HP Recommended

OK. I used the image from the user manual. Apparently it is inaccurate. 😉  Many touchpads have the same feature used to enable and disable, but look slightly different. You should also be able to disable it from within the control panel. 

It might be that you are not tapping the dot quickly enough.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Erico: Per my first note, I have tried disabling the touchpad via control panel-->Mouse, but it does not have a "Properties" tab that would normally allow me to disable the trackpad. So, there's no way I can tell to disable it via the control panel. And again, I have tried device manager and several toucohpad software applications (including Synaptics), neither of which have worked. Finally, I have tried tapping the upper left dot on the trackpad many times and many ways; from my perspective, it's a very unlikely solution.

Can anyone from HP answer this question? It looks like Erico has exhausted his quiver of suggestions. (Thanks anyway, Erico!)

HP Recommended

Try the PC Diagnostics.  Press the power button and then tap the Esc key.  Choose component tests and then select Mouse.

HP Recommended

Erico: Can you point me to step-by-step instructions to locate and use PC Diagnostics? I am unable to locate what you're referring to. When I click the power button, the computer shuts down immediately, even if I press the esc key immediately afterwards. So that doesn't appear to bring up PC Diagnostics. Thank you for clarifying!

HP Recommended

Erico: I did press 'esc' upon restart, and I was lead to some pre-Windows diagnostic options. However, nothing led me to a component diagnostic tool, let alone anything related to my mouse. At this time, I do not have a USB mouse connected to the laptop. The only thing I want to address and fix is the touchpad.

If you have rock-solid instructions on how to proceed, let me know. If you're just guessing , it might be more worthwhile to appeal directly to HP. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Certainly.  Watch the video.

Your notebook should have a newer version that has more component tests than the one in the video. If not, you can download the latest version (v. 5.5.0.0) at Http://www.hp.com/go/techcenter/PCDiags. 

HP Recommended

tombraman, I have read this old post and I am wondering if you got the answer or figured out how to disable the touchpad.

I have the same laptop and I have the exactly same issue in order to disable the touchpad. It is impossible to disable it through the Control Panel or by double tapping the touchpad.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.