Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Notebook: G62 a10em

I have downloaded the BIOS update tool from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4226...

and successfully installed it on my USB.

How can i now update my bios?

The USB now contains:

BIOS

|--Current (empty folder)

|--New (empty folder)

|--Previous (empty folder)

BIOSUpdate

-CryptRSA.efi

-CryptRSA32.efi

-HpBiosUpdate.efi

-HpBiosUpdate.s09

-HpBiosUpdate.sig

-HpBiosUpdate32.efi

-HpBiosUpdate32.s09

-HpBiosUpdate32.sig

my current bios version is F. 08

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I did an edit above.

After looking at the proper file you downloaded, it says this:

"Prerequisites
- Microsoft .NET 2.0 is required. UEFI and Custom Imaging ----------------------- HP BIOS Update must be run from a FAT or FAT32 partition with a volume name of "HP_TOOLS". This installer gives you the option to install to the hard disk drive (HDD) or a USB drive. If you install to the HDD and the HP_TOOLS partition is not present, the installer prompts you to create the HP_TOOLS partition. If you install to a USB drive, the installer renames the partition on the USB drive to HP_TOOLS. If you use a custom image, you can create the HP_TOOLS partition manually with type FAT32, and make the volume name HP_TOOLS. CAUTION: - The UEFI partition is not protected and can therefore be deleted. - Backing up the computer using the Microsoft Windows Vista Complete PC Backup function does not back up the UEFI partition. For these reasons, HP recommends that you do not place additional data on the UEFI partition. Because the partition is not backed up, corruption or failure of the partition will result in loss of all data on the partition, plus loss of UEFI functionality. For more information, visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup"

There is little documentation on how to use it, however one member here figured it out.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/ENVY-14-System-Recovery-doesn-t-work-wit...

Using Windows 7:

Just plug in the USB drive then run the SPnnnnn.exe BIOS  file downloaded from the HP support drivers website.

Assuming the USB drive is set up correctly (see below), the BIOS installer sees the HP_TOOLS partition on the USB drive, copies the BIOS and its signature file to the USB drive then runs the winflash installer. The system BIOS detects the USB drive and HP_TOOLS partition and the BIOS is magically updated.

I set up a brand new USB drive as follows:
1. Rename the HP_TOOLS partition from the hard disk to something different like HP_TOOLSbak
2. Plug in the USB drive
3. Download and run the BIOS Update Utility (not the BIOS, yet)  from the HP support drivers page.
4. Select the option to install on a USB drive
5. Select the option to create the HP_TOOLS partition
6. The drive should now be formatted as HP_TOOLS with a Hewlett-Packard folder containing BIOS and BIOSUpdate folders. The BIOS folder will contain empty Current, New and previous folders.
7. Download and run  the HP System Diagnostics (UEFI) SP from the HP support drivers page
8. Select the option to install on a USB drive. This will create a SystemDiags folder under the Hewlett-Packard folder
9. Download and run the HP Notebook System BIOS Update from the  HP support drivers page, since the usb drive is labeled correctly it will install the bios update to the USB drive.
10 You should end up with an HP_TOOLS partition on the USB drive identical to the one that you deleted from the hard disk.

Once you've set up the USB drive you can update to other (newer or older) BIOS versions using this drive as I mentioned above: just plug in the USB drive then download and run the BIOS installer.

That being said I am not sure what you do once you boot from the USB drive.

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173
HP Recommended

Edit:

I have always wondered shy HP releases tools and then provides no documentation on how to use it.

HP Recommended

Which file has to be run?

HP Recommended

I did an edit above.

After looking at the proper file you downloaded, it says this:

"Prerequisites
- Microsoft .NET 2.0 is required. UEFI and Custom Imaging ----------------------- HP BIOS Update must be run from a FAT or FAT32 partition with a volume name of "HP_TOOLS". This installer gives you the option to install to the hard disk drive (HDD) or a USB drive. If you install to the HDD and the HP_TOOLS partition is not present, the installer prompts you to create the HP_TOOLS partition. If you install to a USB drive, the installer renames the partition on the USB drive to HP_TOOLS. If you use a custom image, you can create the HP_TOOLS partition manually with type FAT32, and make the volume name HP_TOOLS. CAUTION: - The UEFI partition is not protected and can therefore be deleted. - Backing up the computer using the Microsoft Windows Vista Complete PC Backup function does not back up the UEFI partition. For these reasons, HP recommends that you do not place additional data on the UEFI partition. Because the partition is not backed up, corruption or failure of the partition will result in loss of all data on the partition, plus loss of UEFI functionality. For more information, visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup"

There is little documentation on how to use it, however one member here figured it out.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/ENVY-14-System-Recovery-doesn-t-work-wit...

Using Windows 7:

Just plug in the USB drive then run the SPnnnnn.exe BIOS  file downloaded from the HP support drivers website.

Assuming the USB drive is set up correctly (see below), the BIOS installer sees the HP_TOOLS partition on the USB drive, copies the BIOS and its signature file to the USB drive then runs the winflash installer. The system BIOS detects the USB drive and HP_TOOLS partition and the BIOS is magically updated.

I set up a brand new USB drive as follows:
1. Rename the HP_TOOLS partition from the hard disk to something different like HP_TOOLSbak
2. Plug in the USB drive
3. Download and run the BIOS Update Utility (not the BIOS, yet)  from the HP support drivers page.
4. Select the option to install on a USB drive
5. Select the option to create the HP_TOOLS partition
6. The drive should now be formatted as HP_TOOLS with a Hewlett-Packard folder containing BIOS and BIOSUpdate folders. The BIOS folder will contain empty Current, New and previous folders.
7. Download and run  the HP System Diagnostics (UEFI) SP from the HP support drivers page
8. Select the option to install on a USB drive. This will create a SystemDiags folder under the Hewlett-Packard folder
9. Download and run the HP Notebook System BIOS Update from the  HP support drivers page, since the usb drive is labeled correctly it will install the bios update to the USB drive.
10 You should end up with an HP_TOOLS partition on the USB drive identical to the one that you deleted from the hard disk.

Once you've set up the USB drive you can update to other (newer or older) BIOS versions using this drive as I mentioned above: just plug in the USB drive then download and run the BIOS installer.

That being said I am not sure what you do once you boot from the USB drive.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks, I think I did it. Apparently the latest bios for my computer is F. 08 which is the one I already had. 

HP Recommended

That download you put on your flash drive is normally used to update the uefi tools partition on the hard drive, so you should apply it by executing it in windows, it is not the Bios update.

HP Recommended

HP BIOS Update (UEFI) is a support application that is provided with your HP Notebook PC.   It works in conjunction witht the BIOS updates that are provided on HP.com or from HP Support Assistant.   UEFI is a new BIOS standard included in the new HP Notebook PCs.  

The advantage of the UEFI BIOS update technology is the BIOS flash occurs during the reboot and not from Windows which lowers the risk of BIOS corruption that can occur due to malware or other applications running during the flash of the BIOS device.   Also HP BIOS update provides a back up of the BIOS binary in case of corruption whcih will automatically recover the BIOS image.  

HP BIOS Update usage from a USB key is only intended to recover BIOS in exception cases where the BIOS cannot be recovered from the hard drive.  

To avoid confusion in the future, the HP BIOS Update utility will be combined with the HP System Diagnostics (UEFI) to a utility entitled HP Support Environment (UEFI).  New documentation will be included.

For infomrmation on the HP System Daigsnotics see www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

I work on behalf of HP.

Click on Kudos if you like the response.
HP Recommended

so what do you do once you install the HP BIOS update UEFI on my USB. no directions at all.

HP Recommended

Unless you remove the HP_TOOLS volume you do not need HP UEFI BIOS Update on USB.  Your BIOS should recover automtically.  

If this not the case, please let me know and I will provide you further help.

I work on behalf of HP.

Click on Kudos if you like the response.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.