Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

FINALY!!!

With some pointers from here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/ENVY-14-System-Recovery-doesn-t...

You don't need any 3rd party tools or the like (at least for the 14 series notebooks, and I suspect severl others).

Unfortunatelly you will need access to a Windows machine.

I was stuck with only the BIOS/UEFI files...

The "trick" in rebuilding/creating an HP_TOOLS usb drive is that you need to get several pieces first, NOT JUST THE BIOS FILES!!!

You need (from the oficial hp support page of your machine):

1. Latest BIOS/UEFI files.
  2. HP UEFI Support Environment
  3. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

With the formated usb drive named HP_TOOLS, run each of the above programs, selecting to install to USB.

When finished, you have a fully functioning BIOS/UEFI update and diagnostics drive!!!!

Then you plug into your machine and start up by pressing the win+B keys. In a few seconds you should se the HP Bios update screen. It took a couple of minutes to complete on my machine.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you! Can you please give me the links?

HP UEFI Support Environment
HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

HP Recommended

Hi,

Im not sure if they are the same for all machines.

You can find them in the drivers and software support page for your machine.

Mine is:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-14-d000-Notebook-PC-series/6529958/model/6858531/drivers?lang...

under Dignostics.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Just wondering if you were successfull updating your UEFI?

HP Recommended

Hey can I ask where do you get the BIOS update anyway? All I have under my BIOS driver section is HP BIOS Update UEFI and that's definitely not the BIOS update, where am I supposed to get it? 😕

I'm stuck at the 9. Download and run the HP Notebook System BIOS Update from the  HP support drivers page on the link you gave. I don't have anything called System BIOS update  only that thing what I mentioned.. ?

HP Recommended

I stuck on step 9. It gives me to chose hard disk or usb. As i chose usb, it asks me to format usb. and ofcoarse it shouldnt ask to format usb. What should I do.

HP Recommended

@HPSAwizard wrote:

Here are the steps:

1. Download the latest BIOS udpate for your model from HP.com

2. Launch the SoftPAQ, then cancel it.   All you want is the binaries to unpack.

3. Go to C:\SPSetup\SPxxxxxx for the SP number you just launched.

4. Format a USB key and name the key HP_TOOLS

5. Copy the *.bin and *.sig files to a USB key under a folder you create with the path:

..\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\Current\

6. Plug the USB key into the failing system.

7. Hold Win+B keys, then Press POWER

Assuming the Boot Block is not corrupted, the BIOS should automatically identifiy the key and re-flash the BIOS.  

Some questions:  

1. Is your product in Warranty?

2. Do you know how the BIOS was corrupted? 

HPSAWizard> Thanks for your detailed reply. I tried the steps you mentioned, but when I power up whilst holding the Win+B keys, CAPS immediately starts flashing continuously and after a little while the CPU fan kicks in at full speed - it takes a little while to get going...

My screen is completely blank and I get no POST or beeps.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I'm not in warranty and I believe the BIOS screwed up when I tried to upgrade the CPU. I hope I haven't fried anything. It started to fire up ok and then the screen had wavy lines and the computer turned off. I switched back to the old CPU and now I can't get it to POST.

HP Recommended

My specific problem is this......

My notebook wont boot into bios after a recovery process failed . At power up, power and wifi led lights up with NO screen activity. When i insert the bios usb created with the latest bios update for my model and power up nothing happens, but when i press the win+B key before powering up i see my usb light blink for a while, stays lighted for about 5 seconds and then goes off. Without the usb stick, when i press win+B keys before power up, the caps-lock key gives 2 led flashes continuously but nothing else happens.

I have tried the various combinations recommended in this thread and others, the only thing i haven't tried is using the .sig files...when my latest bios update (SP69886) i don't get to see any sig files in it.... have only .fd files. Does anyone have a sig file for 01966....ie 01966.sig?

Can someone pls look into this for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated......  thanks in advance

HP Recommended

It seems that we have the same problem and I also need the file 01966.sig (or how to create it).

Pls someone helps us.

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

I have been trying to create a bootable usb to flash the bios for a dv7-3165dx.  Having trouble finding the binary and sig files for it though.  I downloaded the bios from HP's website and unzipped it but no .bin or.sig files.  Any help would be appreciated.  The laptop turns on but screen is blank and its lights are blinking twice then stopping so I know the bios is corrupted.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.