Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

As it is not good for the durability of a lithium battery to be charged above 80% , and unplugging the power once the laptop reaches 80% charge is not really an option:

I am wondering if it is at all possible to set the battery charging threshold/limit/maximum to 80% for an HP Laptop ? (For example by using any software or sepcial setting) So basically a tool that stops the laptop from charging the moment in reaches 80%, in order to increase the battery's durability.

Other manufacturers (Samsung/Sony/Lenovo...) offer certain battery control tools in order to maximize the lifespan of the laptops battery. Is there a tool by HP/for HP laptops? 

I am sorry if this is a repost or if this question was already answered elsewhere.

I use a HP Spectre x360 and Windows 10.

Thanks in advance!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @y_f,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you want information regarding the battery charging limit/threshold to 80%, I'll try my best to help you with this,

I did a bit of research and found that there is nothing as such it should be charged to 80% for optimum performance/good battery life.

I have a found a wonderful document which would help you with this - Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology - Click here

Other manufacturers (Samsung/Sony/Lenovo...) offer certain battery control tools in order to maximise the lifespan of the laptop's battery. Is there a tool by HP/for HP laptops? Answering to your question, Yes, It's an inbuilt feature with HP.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any further assistance, I'll be more than happy to help.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello HP Support Agent,

thank you for your quick response.

Unfortunately this does not solve my request.

For lithium-ion batteries, most battery damage occurs when the cells inside are at or near full capacity. This is because lithium-ion batteries get a bit hot under the collar when they max out their charge at 100%. This heat causes the delicate structures within to start to break down, which ultimately makes the battery less capable of holding a charge.

(google "lithium ion battery 80%")

So in order to minimize the risk of loosing a lot of my battery capacity I am looking for a software/tool and not a built in feature that stops charging my battery at 80% (and for e.g. starts charging at 79%).

I have made great experiences with tools that can do this. (Old laptop had 12h office mode at the start and after 4,5 years (of full use!) it had 8,5h in office mode left [wifi word and browser with medium to low brightness]). While having a setting that does not allow charging beyond 80%.

Unfortunately I have not found a tool/software provided by HP yet, so my question would be wether there is such a tool by HP and I have not found it yet or if you can recommend another tool (or wether HP is currently developing a tool like it and i should wait).

Thank you for your support.

Best regards

HP Recommended

Hey@y-f,

Thanks for the response.

I understand the design point of the battery charging and it physical characteristics.

But the charge level of the battery cannot be controlled by any software.

Hope this helps. Please share for more assistance.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

You wrote that "... the charge level of the battery cannot be controlled by any software."

But actually my previous IBM laptop had such ability and it greatly increased its battery life.

Keeping batterry 100% charged or especially charge it from 90% to 100% everytime I unplugged power cord for short period of time and plugged it back is not good for battery life.  My previous laptop with charge tresholds was charged only once a month and it greatly reduced amount of charge cycles and allowed me to use battery for 8+ years.

HP Recommended

I am also very intresed in this feature! 

HP Recommended

I have a low tech method that I use with my Kaby Lake Spectre laptop. Normally I charge it only at night and use a timer that runs for 1-2-4-8 hours before shutting off. I typically charge my laptop for 1-2 hours depending on it's status when I plug it in. Typically in the morning, I'm somewhere in the 90% charge range.

I don't think there is a problem charging the battery to 100%. The potential damage occurs when you continue to charge the battery after it reaches 100%. Most laptops switch to a trickle charge mode at 100% to minimize damage to the laptop battery. To prove this to yourself, hook a car battery up to a trickle charger and see what happens in a few months.

The HP diagnostic program has a battery test function that will tell you among other things what the number of cycles is on the battery. The worse thing you can do to the battery is drain it below 20% because lithium-ion batteries don't like that. I set my laptop to shutdown at 20%, not sleep or hibernate but shutdown to prevent any possible deep cycling of the battery. Watch the number of cycles on your battery and that will tell you if you are abusing your battery or not.

The default power setting is typically to hibernate on low power but I personally think that's wrong. You should set it to shutdown as even in hibernate mode you're still draining the battery.

Also if you buy a laptop that you can swap the battery out, it's not a big deal. I have a Spectre x360 13t-w0xx and if I understand the iFixit teardown, the battery is replaceable. Plus I've got a 3-year warranty so if the battery dies, I'll spend $100 to swap it out.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I also have a Karby Lake Spectre which I'd like to keep to a minimum battery ageing.

Mine is/will mostly be functioning as a work station at home, near power. Would you say it's better to keep it plugged in 24/7 or letting it charge to ~90% and the letting it drain to ~30% every day? I don't understand why there aren't programs which cuts the charging current at a certain percentage..

Trickeling means it cuts charging when 100% is reached and the discharges it until a threshold is reached (typical ~94%), is that correct? Isn't possible to test if trickling is active by unpluging the charger at 100% and replug it before the the trickeling threshold is reached and it shouln't be charging?

Do you know any good programme that monitors chargeing cycles and voltage of the battery?

HP Recommended
Just to update everyone: there are tools that do what we want them to do, but their are either by another manufacturers(dell, lenovo, Samsung...) and not compatible with hp laptops or they are manual (which is exactly what we dont want)

So currently there is still no stoftware by hp
HP Recommended

So are there any software tools working for HP in "manual" mode or what do you mean by manual?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.