Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion – 15-au110no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

My 4 year old laptop died last week so I got a new HP Pavilion. It is great, but I found out the hard drive was a bit small.

So my question is this: I have taken out the hard drive from the old lap top and it looks like a "normal" hard drive to me, not an ssd. Is it possible to put that inside the Hp Pavilion and use as an addional hard drive? If so, how? 🙂 Or can I only use it as an external hard drive through usb?

Thanks in advance!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can install the drive if it is a 2.5" drive and use it. However since you say that it comes from an older computer I would not use it internally. A mechanical sata drive is cheap and you can get new one online. The old hard drive might also be sata II which would not be good. So the best idea would be to buy a mechanical SSD 2.5" SATA III drive.

You will need to purchase bracket and cable to attach the hard drive internally part number   856352-001

Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/856352-001-DD0G34HD301-HP-HD-CADDY-ENCLOSURE-W-CABLE-15-AU-15-AU030WM-SERIES...

Look in the service manual on page 32-33 to get an idea of how it is done:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05228250

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks for a quick reply!

Ok, I get it. I guess I could get that from Ebay and a new sata drive. I will need another drive. Since I need to get another drive anyway, would it be maybe better and easier to get another ssd drive if possible? Otherwise I will go with your already offered sollution. I dont need a whole lot of extra space, maybe around 500gb (which is the size of the old hard drive).

HP Recommended

Hi,

The SSD will be quicker, mor silent and stealthier (no moving parts). It will cost more. Since you already have SSD for OS and applications. If you are only saving files (music, video etc..) you could opt for a larger mechanical drive. 

Let me know if you need further help with installation,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Ok, it wasnt easy to find a drive. And they are expensive like you say. I do need one though.

I found one called "WD Blue PC SSD 2,5" SATA III 500GB". You think that one will work?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, a good drive. Fast and good brand and support. Transfer of files within your system will be real fast.

Let me know if you need help once you are installing drive

David

HP Recommended
Hi!

Ok so I finally got the items and, yes please, I need help. 🙂
HP Recommended
I have checked the pages in the manual, but I understand it as how to replace the hard drive, not to add an extra.
HP Recommended
I just got back from a computer repair shop and they claim that it is impossible to add another harddrive to my computer?! Feeling a bit confused since I don't know what to believe. And I did put a lot of money into a new hard drive. Please help.
HP Recommended

Hello @thenewhardy @iomare,

This PC will not support 2 drives together. Either a SATA or a M.2.

As there is no dedicated slot for the M.2 SSD.  

In order to have the SSD the SATA HD has to be removed , Viceversa !!

Please see this : https://thesml.hp.com/results.htm?SID=10862158&MEID=8BC6A844-F67A-49EE-B31C-F599C8D7DFED

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.