Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I have a Pavilion Notebook running Windows 10 and it has a clickpad.  How can I replicate a mouse middle button click?  I've gone into settings and there is no way to change the actions of a 3 or 4 finger tap. They are set to launch Cortana and the Action Center, respectively, and there are no dialog boxes to change the settings. The 3 finger flick will only switch between Windows and Task views and the "click" setting only lets you set the size of the right button click zone.  There are not dialog boxes for the 3 finger flick or "click" to let you change anything there, either.  I want to keep the 2 finger tap as the context menu.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

KJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @kj4,

I reviewed your response which was incidentally super quick. You've been simply superb to work with considering your top-notch technical skills. 🙂  if these links did not do the trick fo you, I am afraid that it is a limitation of the operating system Windows 10 operating system.

If there was any other option, then there would have been an answer to it at least in the Microsoft community as it is their own Operating System. So it looks like a limitation of the operating system as it is not hardware related.

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @kj4,

Good Day! Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! Hope you are doing well. Smiley Happy  I understand that you need assistance regarding  3 click touchpad features on your notebook and disable it if required. I’ll be delighted to assist you. Smiley Happy

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. Smiley Happy I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform.Smiley Happy

Kudos to you for diagnosing the issue superbly. Awesome job.Smiley Happy

I would require more information regarding this to assist you better.

• Please let me know the product# of the unit and the operating system used.

For now, please perform visit these links for further assistance.

Link 1: HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10): http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04648748

Link 2 Mastering three-finger gestures in Windows 10: http://www.windowscentral.com/mastering-three-finger-gestures-windows-10

Link 3 How to Use and Configure Windows 10’s Gestures on a Laptop Touchpad: http://www.howtogeek.com/227073/how-to-use-and-configure-windows-10%E2%80%99s-gestures-on-a-laptop-t...

Link 4: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/synaptics-touchpad-3-fin...

Also, try the steps mentioned in the Microsoft community.

Please note that the last 2 links are third party links. Please do not click on any ad, image, icon, link or download. Please follow only the instructions and screenshots that are listed.

Finally, I would also suggest to update the bios and Synaptics Touchpad drivers from this link http://hp.com/drivers please select the country and type the product# of the unit. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this pans out. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI!  The product number is N5R26UA#ABA, and the OS is Windows 10.  Thanks for including the links, however, I had already checked them before posting my question.  I do appreciate you taking the time to include the, though!

KJ

HP Recommended

Hi @kj4,

I reviewed your response which was incidentally super quick. You've been simply superb to work with considering your top-notch technical skills. 🙂  if these links did not do the trick fo you, I am afraid that it is a limitation of the operating system Windows 10 operating system.

If there was any other option, then there would have been an answer to it at least in the Microsoft community as it is their own Operating System. So it looks like a limitation of the operating system as it is not hardware related.

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind.

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thanks so much for your time! 

KJ

HP Recommended

I have a 2016 spectre with the same issue.  The accepted answer is wrong.  This is not a limitation of Windows 10.  Windows 10 supports middle click so clearly that's not the case.  The problem is with the touchpad's Synaptic driver, which is really unfortunate because no middle click is a deal-breaker, and Cortana adds no value for me.  However, there are two options for middle click.  It's not documented (except in the registry), but a three finger click will give a middle click.  If you still want three finger tap as middle click, then open Regedit and look at this key

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Win10

Change the 3FingerTapAction value from 0 to 4.  Then delete the 3FingerTapPlugInActionID value.

If you want some other action the list of supported actions is stored in this key

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPPlugIns\SynTP

I'm not sure why 4 isn't listed there, but it does work.

HP Recommended
Thank you!
HP Recommended

I have tried the proposed solution on HP spectre. Didn't change a thing even after restart. Any suggestion on how to make 3 fingures tap simulate a middle button click? This is especially useful for closing tabs in Chrome / other broswers.

HP Recommended

Here is a screen shot of my registry settings.  This is on a 2016 Spectre x360, but I expect it would work on any computer with the synaptic touchpad.

HP Recommended

I have set up the registry as you recommended. I also restarted the computer.

No change. 3 Finget tap still opens cortana.

Here is my current registry settings:

registry.png

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.