Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

While I'm on the internet, my screen dims randomly depending on the website. Sometimes it would go to normal brightness but then right back to really dim. It would get so dim, I could barely read anything on the screen in a dark room. I can't adjust the brightness with the F2 and F3 keys and I've tried adjusting the power plans' brightness and nothing changes. How can I keep the screen from dimming all the time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Was your video card built by AMD/ATI?

If so, the Vari-Bright feature must be on. To fix this go to:

1. AMD Vision Engine Control Center (or AMD Catalyst Control Center)

2. Power

3. PowerPlay

4. Uncheck the "Enable Vari-Bright" option.

and that will fix your problem.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

mine just started doing the same thing today. it's really, really dim. idk what to do..even other programs (ms word, desktop, etc) are dim..the whole screen, not just internet pages! i can barely see this page.

HP Recommended

so far, restarting has worked, but this happened to my husband's dell, n resetting only worked a couple times..then it went dim permanantly..so be careful, and back your stuff up!

HP Recommended

Mine started doing the same today. 

It seems to dim when a webpage loads. Once the page is loaded, it fully brightens again. 

If anyone has any info as to why this has started happening, or how to fix it. Let me know. 

Laptop is still under waranty, but it doesn't seem worth the hastle sending it back when I fly to Ibiza in 3 hours. 

HP Recommended

Was your video card built by AMD/ATI?

If so, the Vari-Bright feature must be on. To fix this go to:

1. AMD Vision Engine Control Center (or AMD Catalyst Control Center)

2. Power

3. PowerPlay

4. Uncheck the "Enable Vari-Bright" option.

and that will fix your problem.

HP Recommended

My video card is AMD but I couldn't find that center on my computer. Is there another way to access that feature? 

HP Recommended

You may download the AMD Catalyst Control Center (AMD Vision Engine Control Center on other laptop)

at the AMD/ATI website

here:

hxxp://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

(change hxxp to http, this is to avoid web spiders/bots)

Cheers,

Jed

HP Recommended

Thanks, it fixed it! It was the vari-bright feature, I'm so glad I finally disabled it!

HP Recommended

I see.. I'm glad I helped fixed your problem.

Then mark the post as the solution to help other users experiencing the problem.

HP Recommended

I have downloaded the AMD catalyst center believing it would be easy to navigate through after downloading and i was wrong, what have I downloaded. luckly, my laptop screen doesn't dim when I am on this site, HELP anyone! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.