Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Pavilion dv6 Entertainment Notebook is five years old.  I upgraded to Windows 10 about 6-8 months ago and I would very much like to revert to Windows 7 if I can.  When I start the HP Recovery Manager I get a message saying I am being blocked from running the application, so I am not sure what my options are.  Any guidance would be much appreciated - thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@TenorBass,

Thanks for stopping by HP Support Forums.

I came across your post and would like to help.

Need assistance in reverting the PC back to Windows 7 after Windows 10 upgrade. Is that, correct?

The only way to revert the PC back to Windows 7 is through HP recovery discs or through Microsoft Windows 7 retail copy.

If you have HP Recovery discs from HP, then use the link below to perform the recovery on the PC.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418

Hope the solution answers your query. Feel free to reply back for more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi Resolv_S - I appreciate your reply, considering everything I think ordering HP recovery disks would be my best option.  An issue I have, which I seem to have overcome, is that on my computer HP Recovery Manager will not start normally.  When I attempt to start it I get a message saying the program has been blocked for my protection.  The executable that will not start is called Rebecca.exe.  Attepting to Run as Administrator does no good, the same thing happens.

FYI, I saw posts about this elsewhere on HP forums, and found a purported fix involving the use a Certificate Un-signer tool.  I downloaded and ran the tool, but it did not fix the problem.  What worked for me was to type "command prompt" in the Windows 10 search box, then right click on the "Command Prompt" search result and choose Run as Administrator.  In other words, I ran the Command Prompt app as an Administrator.  I then used DOS commands to navigate to the location of Rebecca.exe, and when I typed Rebbeca.exe, Recovery Manager started running (and I did a happy dance).  I didn't do anything with it because I am not ready just yet.  I have recounted all this because I have seen other posts about the "blocked for your protection" issue, and my fortunate experience may be helpful to people with the same problem.

HP Recommended

Hey@TenorBass,

Thanks for the response.

“Kudos” to you as you have found a way to fix the issue on your PC yourself.

You can reach out to HP Support Forums for any support needs in the future as well.

Happy posting and great day ahead.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.