Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I finally found the solution to this adapter message  issue.

I have a new HP Envy 17  with the original adapter and these popups started immediatly.  Using Win 8

Which in my case pops up eroneously because the power supply works fine.

Just delete the smart adapter file : SMRTADPTR.     This file is the popup message only.

SMRTADPTR.  

Program Files (x86) /Hewlet-Packard/HP System event/SmrtAdptr

This should take care of this anoying issue.   Let me know if it also works for you.

Good luck..

Herbert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Everyone,

As indicated in this HP document Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter under the Understanding HP Smart Adapter messages section;

SmartAdapterMsg01.PNG

"This message indicates that the AC adapter does not have enough power to use your notebook computer. The battery light may blink rapidly 8 times and the power icon in the system try indicates that the notebook computer is operating on battery power.

For example, using a 65W AC adapter or 65W Travel Adapter on Most Mobile Workstation series notebooks is not supported.

This message does not indicate that the AC adapter needs to be replaced or is defective. Use the appropriate AC adapter for your model notebook computer."

SmartAdapterMsg02.PNG

"This message indicates that the AC Adapter has enough power to use your notebook computer, but not enough power to deliver expected performance.

For example, attempting to use a 65W AC power adapter designed for a high performance notebook works, but performance is not optimal. High performance HP notebook computers require a 90W AC power adapter."

If you are getting this early message and you are using the adapter that came with the notebook then you could be looking at needing a replacement adapter and I would recommend you give us a call. HP Total Care at can reached at 1-800-474-6836 in North America or start here if you live outside of North America.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

Worked for me.

The popup just started today and reappeared incessantly. 

Erasing the offending exe file solved the problem on the surface.

However what caused the offending exe file to keep on executing was not addressed, of course, and the software command that summons the now-missing exe file is certainly still in place, which won't help the machine's performance, alas.

Thank you in any case !

HP Recommended

HP Smart Adapter (nag screen)

This problem occurred after return from HP repair center for other issues...
It did not happen before the computer was sent in for repair...

When plugged in the AC adapter a Black Screen pops-up suggestinag that there is a problem with the AC adapter...
Low power/Low voltage/ and etc "A problem"  alarm issue. Or upgrade to Smart Adapter more watts/power

HP Tech Support solution is to Disable the Alarm reporting feature.
Go to Task Manager  (control alt del)
Select Task Manager
Select Startup Tab
Select HP Message Sevices and Disable it
Restart Computer (reboot)
To test, plug in charge and unplug charger the Nag Screen will not appear again and disppear when unplugged.
The reverse enable the services

This also disables the HP Message serve, a bad idea. other problem will not showup when they happen.

This is no way to fix such issues.. Bad produce concept....

Provide an approved and adequate charger when purchasing an expenive laptop, don't try to upsell product with nag screens.

Then they have the guts to toss in a $10 off coupon on $60 or more purchase..     CMA

This nag screen issue is another way to tell me NEVER by another HP produce...  I no longer trust HP products

HP Recommended

As seen with the issues above, it appears the solution as to:

Remove battery

Disconnect Charger Unit

Attempt to power up unit with nothing connected 

Then install battery, power up laptop, no nag screens found...

Until next time... This is stll a flakey fix activities, but it worked on my HP Laptop...

Beats the turn message system OFF concept by Tech Support....

With the Message System enabled no more nap screens...

Next Tech Support concept...

If you check engine light is on in your car remove indicator lamp, problem solved!!!!  UNTIL!!!

HP Recommended

My HP Smart Adapter screen became an issue over a few weeks ago. HP Tech Support did this same thing - disabled most of the HP services from starting with startup. This worked for a week.

Now the popup is back and all those disabled services have been enabled but not by me. I'm trying deleting the .exe file next.

I spent my hard earned money on what could have been a really nice laptop. Now HP is telling me that my equipment is crap? Why didn't they send me a "good" adapter in the first place? This is definitely going down as a strike against the company.

HP Recommended

Faced the same problem earlier today, and also found the reason (and eventually the very simple solution).

After a few months the pop-up suddenly started to appear each time I connected the adapter. While getting more and more angry I also noticed that the cable/connector did't fit as close as before. That problem was easily "solved" by hand power.

To shorten my story: the pin in the cable/connector (AKA the ID-pin, I've learned) was bent and didn't reach the hole in the AC-connector on the PC.

As English is not my native language, I hope you all understand my post: swallow your pride and check the cable prior deleting files.

Ha det bra! (Swedish for "Take care")

/M

HP Recommended

Fine solution - it works for me too.

HP Recommended

FYI:  Don't accept all of the HP updates!!!

I just ran the update utility and it re-installed the bloody pop-up message!

HP Recommended

I will recommand not to follow Herbert's solution, which was "Just delete the smart adapter file : SMRTADPTR.     This file is the popup message only".   I discovered the problem with "Smart Adapter file SMRTADPTR" already in September 2014, just few days after I bought my new laptop "HP Envy 15 Note book PC" with Win8 64bit. At 18Nov2014 I found Herbert's solution and I was happy when I found the file SMRTADPTR on the computer and was able to delete it. Until that time I had probably received the message 10 times. I agree with student Johnso47 "I just ran the update utility and it re-installed the bloody pop-up message!".

After this discovery I took the power cable under a magnifying glass and found that there was a manufactoring failure in rubber seal in the cable connector where it is to be connected with the computer. Each time the error in the rubber gasket prevented a 100% connection to the computer, I got the famous advertisement for a cable with a higher performance.

In my opinion this discovery documents that the architechs of the computer has designed a small program, which controlls whether the cable gives a saticfactory connection to the computer and if the program discover that the connection is bad the program simply recommend a cable with a higher power.

Therefore I reported my discovery of the  manufactoring failure in rubber seal in the cable connector where it is to be connected with the computer as a warrenty-matter to be solved by HP .

HP Recommended

Hello Everyone,

As indicated in this HP document Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter under the Understanding HP Smart Adapter messages section;

SmartAdapterMsg01.PNG

"This message indicates that the AC adapter does not have enough power to use your notebook computer. The battery light may blink rapidly 8 times and the power icon in the system try indicates that the notebook computer is operating on battery power.

For example, using a 65W AC adapter or 65W Travel Adapter on Most Mobile Workstation series notebooks is not supported.

This message does not indicate that the AC adapter needs to be replaced or is defective. Use the appropriate AC adapter for your model notebook computer."

SmartAdapterMsg02.PNG

"This message indicates that the AC Adapter has enough power to use your notebook computer, but not enough power to deliver expected performance.

For example, attempting to use a 65W AC power adapter designed for a high performance notebook works, but performance is not optimal. High performance HP notebook computers require a 90W AC power adapter."

If you are getting this early message and you are using the adapter that came with the notebook then you could be looking at needing a replacement adapter and I would recommend you give us a call. HP Total Care at can reached at 1-800-474-6836 in North America or start here if you live outside of North America.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.