Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-6173cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Late yesterday I noticed that my display screen was very dim and when I tried to manually adjust it through the keyboard or display settings, nothing was functional to adjust the brightness. This morning I checked the Windows update record and is tells me the Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series was done sometime yesterday. Fortunately, I can barely see the screen but I cannot continue this way all day long. I wasn't even aware (with Windows 10) that this update took place. What can I do?

As an update, I have temporarily solved this issue by restoring my system to the point before this lovely "automatic" update. I also learned that since I am using Windows 10 Home Premium (64) I cannot use any of the superuser approaches to get Windows Update to perform as it used to (i.e., let me select the updates - particularly non-Windows) that I do not want to accept. I have also posted on the Windows and AMD user forums for help. Not a peep from anyone, as yet.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hello @leatherbytes,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I came across your post about the display issue, and wanted to help!

Did you check the driver for your display to see if the Generic PnP Monitor is disabled?  If so, then try enabling it.  You can have a look at this document as well, just to see if there is anything that you may have missed: HP Notebook PCs - Display Is Dim or Difficult to Read (Windows 8, 7, Vista)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for trying to help. However, I have clearly stated that this problem appeared concurrent with an update to the AMD driver initiated by Windows 10. When I restored the system to the point just before the update, the problem went away. Throughout this, the AC power was always connected. I also observed while having this problem that my screen was very bright in the initial stages of boot-up so I'm pretty sure I did not/do not have a screen hardware problem.

I will not consider this case solved until someone can advise on imcompatiability issues with the listed device driver for AMD. I live in apprehension that Windows 10 will once again trigger update to this driver.

I watched the video and appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

Hello @leatherbytes,

Thank you for the quick reply!

There is a post that provides details on a method to keep the Windows Update from installing troublesome drivers after upgrading to Windows 10.  This is usually for the Sleep Mode and TouchPad issues.  Perhaps, if you apply the same principals for the display driver, you can keep Windows Update from installing the driver that is causing your display issue.  Here is a link to the post: Re: How to Resolve Post-Windows 10 Upgrade Issues on HP Laptops

I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Please Help,

I am having the exact same issue with the exact same graphics card. AMD Radeon HD 6700M. I also restored the PC to last working order. But windows automatically installs the drivers again. I contacted Microsoft and they refered me to HP. This is a AMD driver compatibilty issue with HP. Quick internet searches shows this has been an issue with HP since Windows 10 release in july. Much of the solutions are just patch jobs and dont address the real issue. Any help here would be great.

HP Recommended

How timely your inquiry. I just got clobbered again by the automatic windows update and had to back up to a system restore point of 4 days ago. I am so angry I could spit. To be honest, I was hoping the first restore and some other steps I took would prevent it from happening again. BAH!!!!!!!!!!!! AMD, HP and Windows. I will go to the suggestion prior to you comment which I never attempted.

HP Recommended

I thought I was fairly technical but all of this about the MEI driver is way too complicated for me. I am ready to hit the blogosphere with my sad experience between HP and Windows. While I appreciate your suggestions, I want only one of two things: either of

• a frekin' driver that works and is compatabile with Windows 10, or
  • something that will allow me to stop Windows 10 from making this disasterous faulty update!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Enabling `Generic PnP Monitor` worked for me.

My dim/brighten buttons would not work, there was no way to brighten the screen on my DV6 Laptop.

FIrst I did a system restore which fixed the issue but then Windows 10 did an update that I was enable to prevent happening so the screen went dim again due to the 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series' update.

I went to the Device Manager and under `Monitors` I simply right clicked on `Generic PnP Monitor` and enabled it, now everything is back to normal.

At least until the next update I guess!!

generic-pnp-monitor.jpg

HP Recommended
Yeah except Microsoft's Generic PNP is just a patch job. You won't be able to use the dedicated graphics. Yes it will restore the monitor to normal brightness but any apps or games requiring a gpu won't work properly.
HP Recommended

Thank you - that works just fine for me, although as others have said, if I used sophisticated graphics for anything, I would be up a creek. So I am pleased with your suggestion and I am not pleased with software and hardware that still does not work properly and that requires me to "work around." But your "work around" is a lot more elegant than going back to restore points. Today, after spending three hours yesterday going back to restore points and getting my anti-virus synched again, I was using my bright screen and I helplessly watched the freakin' update get applied again and my screen go dim. What a crock of bulls__t.

Thank you again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.