Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
For "mdecipher":
What brand and model did you go with if you don't mind me asking? At this point I'm so frustrated with hp that I really don't want to give them any business.
HP Recommended

I purchased HP's Active Stylus -  it works well on the 15 inch Ultra HD model.

HP Recommended

So, I am seeing a lot of people saying that the pn556w works with the HP Spectre x360 everywhere and no one is even mentioning how did they installed it if the Dell stylus control panel doesn't recognise the PC as a Dell product. I can't get pass the installer.

Please if anyone did succeed to install the PN556w in an HP SPECTRE x360 please explain to us how to get thought the control panel installation from dell.com/support/drivers. Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone. I am losing my mind trying to find a decent writing (not drawing) stylus for this beautiful machine. 

After speaking with HP  I discover that the Spectre is an Active screen and the Elite is a digitized screen.  So back to square one. I can see myself stuck with the HP Active Stylus.

WIll definately do my homework a little more thoroughly next time BEFORE I spend  AUD$2200.

HP Recommended

So, I wanted to put another update out there for people who may come across this.

I just purchased the HP Spectre x360 13" with the QHD OLED screen and am having no luck getting an active stylus to work on it. There are no firmware updates for this version to run. The OS doesn't know it's pen capable at all (just sees touch). I spoke to HP at length this morning and they mostly gave me a run around on the issue. They blamed the fact that I reformatted to Linux initially (and saw that it didn't recognize pen as an input) then reinstalled Windows 10 from a Microsoft provided ISO as opposed to having the original preload OS still. Then they blamed the Dell pen and said it wouldn't work even if a stylus was supported which I told them was incorrect.

At this point they were not willing to do anything further regarding the issue until I at least purchased the OEM reinstall drive and had their version of Windows because "it had the drivers it needed". I told them that even if that were the case, those files should be on the support site to download, and I didn't believe it because neither Windows nor Linux saw any kind of capability for pen at all. And, if a firmware update was needed, that wouldn't have anything to do with the OS image itself.

Finally, I asked the supervisor to just verify that this model does support an active stylus, then he came back and said it didn't. As far as I can see on the HP site, if you go to the Spectre x360 landing page it says that the Spectre x360 supports active stylus. It doesn't specify that certain models do or don't, so I told them that if it really doesn't then they need to advertise which models are supported or not.

In the end, I got no where. Still no working stylus on the 13" x360 QHD OLED. I haven't found any verification from anyone yet if they have a working stylus on this version. At this point I would recommend avoiding this laptop if you want stylus support. HP doesn't seem to even know for sure internally if it should support it or not, so that doesn't inspire much confidence in me. As others have said, it's a shame because the laptop really is magnificent otherwise. Now I have to decide if OLED or stylus is more important and if I want to return it.

HP Recommended
Hi ajerman,
I purchased a Spectre x360 13t with the QHD OLED screen a few days ago, and I am having the same issue. Windows 10 does not recognize any pen compatibility, both before and after the Anniversary update. Under Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Pen and Touch there is a 'Touch' tab, but no 'Pen' tab.  
HP phone support was NOT aware of the issue, and the person I spoke to was unable to resolve it. They believe the computer is active stylus compatible, but I could not find any drivers that allow Windows to recognize pen input. The HP website continues to list the model as "enabled for active stylus" , and several images of the computer include the HP active stylus.
Has anyone successfully enabled pen functionality on a 13-inch Spectre purchased in the last few months? Is the feature specific to particular models of the 13-inch Spectre? Until HP resolves this issue or revises their marketing, I would discourage anyone from buying this laptop for pen use.
HP Recommended

I've also got the Spectre x360 13- 4251na OLED and have tried both a Dell 750-AAHC and HP Pro Tablet 408 Active Pen. Neither work whatsoever.

I've been in touch with HP 'support' and they said i'd need a Active Stylus but don't have any in stock and i can't find any in the UK (and those in the US have dire reviews). But who's to say that it'll work if/when i got one?!

So i'm also stuck until HP update drivers or acknowledge this device doesn't support pen/stylus input.

What a shame - the device is amazing otherwise.

HP Recommended

Thanks guys, I appreciate the confirmation of the issue on the OLED version, even for those who didn't decide to wipe the OEM preload immediately! I'm really hoping they just need to push a firmware update like on some of the other models. I've gotten in contact with someone else who is trying to investigate the issue for me internally. Once I hear something back I will let you guys know.

HP Recommended

and 41xx  

the active penn from HP  works only only for the spectre 40xx and 41xx laptops

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Active-pen-Stylus-won-t-work-with-new-...

i read last also a artikle that the Dell penn stop working after a update from HP, before the two collored pen, black and silver, work also with the spectre x360. it even worked better then the HP one.

HP Recommended

I bought the Active Stylus (silver) and it does not work !!!

Who can tell me which model to choose because I bought this PC express to use the pen and I am very angry because the website of HP mentioned well that one could use a stylus with ...

Thanks to HP to solve our problem.

HP Spectre x360 - 15-ap070nz (ENERGY STAR)

N° de modèle : T8T71EA

Windows 10 Pro

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.