Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've tried this at least 3 times, once under on-line guidance of Microsoft Tech Support.  Never worked either.  What I REALLY need is for someone to give me step-by-step instructions of how to perform the reset in a way that will result in the fewest after reset problems that I can't anticpate, e.g. losing apps I can't recover, losing data files, Windows not running at all,  the AU still not working, etc.

HELP!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

No other way than doing a clean install of Windows 10 Home 64 bit would give you any more problems

You can try Clean Install. Windows 10 automatically get activated on installation while connected to internet

Since Upgrade is really isn't working and reset also not getting you anywhere, I'll try this out.

HP Recommended

I am running Win 10 Pro (64 bit), not Home.  I have NOT as tried a reset, so don't know if it works or not.  How does one do a "clean install?"

HP Recommended

Just follow the tutorial I've linked to you in my post.

You've to create Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installation USB (assuming you've the activation key with you), by running Microsoft Windows media creation tool.

HP Recommended

The USB method has not worked before.  Is the link you are referring to the one that ends with "windows10startfresh"?  If so, I already have info on this from the Windows Secrets website, which provides additional instructions.  BTW, this method is referred to as the "Refresh Tool" and not a system reset.  The latter uses OEM software from the Recovery drive, which would not work for me since my PC came with Windows 7 Home and I'm now on 10 Pro.  Once I return from vacation in a few weeks, I'll try the Refresh Tool and see how it goes.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

What I gave is simple clean installation of Windows 10 Pro. And that is what everyone calls it.

Sure, let me know how it goes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.