Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yes I was just about to update and say that once you disable the audio enhancements using the registry edit way the bass and treble control will no longer have any effect if you move them.

Ultimately people it comes down to the driver.  HP recently started doing this thing where they like to do like Apple and hide options because the less options they give, then the easier their jobs are because they have less problems to deal with such as when people mess up their configurations.  For example the Insyde Bios they use basically is useless in terms of options and functionality.  Anyways, what HP needs to do is update the driver to provide the option to disable Volume Normalization and other enhancements.  So hold tight (for awhile) and wait for a driver update. It would also help if people called in or online chat with the technical support to report the issue.;.

HP Recommended

Or you could just return the laptop like I did.  I got tired of the whole dog and pony show and getting bounced to 15 different tech support monkies.  

If they want to ship a product with defective drivers, they can have it back and frickin keep it.

HP Recommended

@komuvemd wrote:

Or you could just return the laptop like I did.  I got tired of the whole dog and pony show and getting bounced to 15 different tech support monkies.  

If they want to ship a product with defective drivers, they can have it back and frickin keep it.

HP... are you paying attention?

HP Recommended

I agree, I am actually about to return mine also.  They better get that driver fixed and fixed soon.  But BTW the driver isn't technically messed up or buggy.  They just purposefully don't want to give users too many options to avoid more technical problems because they assume that most people that use laptops don't know how to use those features and therefore they forget and ignore the other population of people which enjoy having the options.

HP Recommended

I sure wish they were watching this!  

HP told me so many times that they were "sorry for my inconvenience" and assured me that they would make it right - but the problem with these computers persists.  

Don't buy the hype until this issue is truly resolved and a driver update is officially released.  

Vote with your dollars, people.  In my case, I refused to take the chance on waiting for another HP to be sent to me (which I had to pay for out of pocket until I returned the old one, mind you).  I bought a Sony Vaio instead. - I'd rather pay more for something that WORKS.

P.S.  One of the tech support guys told me that "they don't view the forums as a reliable source of information".  Basically, he doesn't care how many people report something on here, if he hasn't gotten a call about it personally, it's irrelevant.  

Now raise your hand if you're surprised that this issue hasn't been addressed yet. 

HP Recommended

@nranks wrote:

I agree, I am actually about to return mine also.  They better get that driver fixed and fixed soon.  But BTW the driver isn't technically messed up or buggy.  They just purposefully don't want to give users too many options to avoid more technical problems because they assume that most people that use laptops don't know how to use those features and therefore they forget and ignore the other population of people which enjoy having the options.

The worst part is, it's not a problem with hiding ALL the features.  I could actually care less about that; if they want to put a big fancy Beats Audio control panel over the driver and make us use that, I'm fine with that.  It's just that one very specific feature (loudness equalization) that 1) they've turned on and 2) we have no option to turn off.  That's it, one stupid little feature.  And it basically ruins the whole audio experience.  If HP would either disable loudness equalization by default, or expose some checkbox where we can disable it ourselves, that would solve EVERYONE'S problems, and folks like you wouldn't have to return their kit.  The registry hack is a nuclear option, in that it disables ALL audio enhancements, not just loudness EQ, and pretty much defeats all the other fancy (and IMO nice) Beats enhancements.

HP Recommended

I totally agree.  It's just that one feature.  And I listen to music all the time to it would really annoy me if they don't fix this.  I mean the effect is just so obvious, it reall ruins the listening experience.  Loudness equalization is really only good for movies where you might not want the sudden explosion sounds to hurt your ears, other than that music needs to be able to have volume differences.  I really would suggest people get with their Tech support.  The more support tickets on this issue open up then the more attention it receives and sooner it gets resolved.

HP Recommended

Yeah, this is ridiculous. As much as I love this laptop, I might just get the MBP Retina or Sony Vaio S instead and return my Envy 17. 

As others have pointed out, I understand HP wanting to hide some options, but they need to at least make it possible for advanced users to have full control over the audio settings. Especially since the laptop is advertised as being perfect for those working with audio. Even requiring a separate download after purchasing the laptop would be fine.

I'm going to open a support ticket, but if the issue doesn't show signs of being resolved, and knowing HP it won't, then I guess I'll go with the MBP or Sony.

HP Recommended

These issues always do take awhile but in my experiences with HP which are many, it simply takes your perserverance.  Just keep calling them and asking for updates on the situation and eventually it will pay off. I love HP laptops so when a issue like this happens it really is a huge downer.

Update: So I've used the registry hack and so far I honestly could get used to the beats audio being off, at least I prefer it this way than to hear my music volume constantly changing.  I'm keeping it this way until I see an updated driver and that the release notes for the driver say that it fixes this issue.

HP Recommended

Update: 

For those that wish to use online chat to open support tickets, here is the link below:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-006&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=82710&h_client=S-A-R...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.