Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-P008TX
Windows 8.1
Please someone help me. My laptop has been messed up ever since I updated it.

It all started when I got a notification to update to windows 8.1. It was all good until the next day when I started it up and it would not pick up any Internet connection even though I knew my router was working as I could get an Internet connection on my mobile. I went to the network and sharing center and it said there that it was disabled so I right clicked on it to enable it. After I clicked it, my laptop went to a blue screen and came up with the following message something like this: we've encountered a problem, we're gathering some error info and we will restart your device.

So, it restarted and I tried to re enable the network again and the same thing happened. After about 5 tries the restart thing kept happening. I didn't know what to do so I thought to just restore the laptop. I did that and now it's just in this continuous blue screen restart loop. I can't even get to the log in Window, it just keeps going to the blue Window and then restarting.

This is a new laptop, not even 6 months old and it was fine until I was told to update. I'm thinking of just taking it into the repair Centre as I have warranty and I feel as if I can't fix this problem myself as I can't even get into my actual desktop.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes. After the recovery if issues persist call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the following link to get the support number for your region: Phone Assist Worldwide.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hey @sazz1295 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I see your Pavilion 15 notebook is stuck in an endless restart cycle.

There's a few things you can try before resorting to service on the notebook. Force a shut down on your notebook if it is currently on. (Hold power for 8+ seconds.) Turn it back on and tap F11 repeatedly until you see the keyboard language selections. Select your language and then click Troubleshoot > Refresh your PC > Next > Windows 8.1.

This will reinstall Windows but will not delete your personal files. It will uninstall any software, and automatically reinstall the software that came with your PC and any apps you've downloaded from the Windows Store.

Let me know if this works.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi The Great Deku Tree

Thanks for your reply!

A few things have happened since I last visited this thread.

First is: I did what you suggested and it got me into my desktop which is great as I could not access it when I first posted this thread.

Second is: my drivers needed to be updated. I was unaware of this as I had no internet connection, but rest assure, I connected the ethernet cable and a notification popped up saying "Please intall these updates imediately" or somewhere along those lines. There were about 50 for Windows and 2 for NIVIDA. I installed them all.

Theres only one issue I am experiencing as of now:

I can only access the internet if I connect the erthernet cable. The wifi says 'on' but it is not picking up any networks. I never had this issue with the wireless when I first purchased my laptop, it was just when I turned it on one day it didnt pick up wireless for some reason..

What might be causing this issue and do I resolve it?

sazz1295

HP Recommended

Great to hear things are running now (for the most part anyway).

I need to know the wireless adapter you're using to help here.

1. Press Windows Key + R
  2. Type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  3. Expand Network adapters.
  4. Look for an adapter with the word wireless, wi-fi or 802.11 in the name.
  5. Let me know what it is.

If there is nothing listed with those keywords in the name:

1. Click View at the top of Device Manager
  2. Select Show hidden devices
  3. Expand the Other devices section
  4. Right click on the first listed device in Other devices
  5. Select Properties
  6. Go to the Details tab
  7. Change the drop down to Hardware Ids
  8. Give me the ID at the top of the list.
  9. Repeat this for any other devices listed in Other devices.

Thanks! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Wireless adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

HP Recommended

Try these suggestions.

Powercycle the network:
1. Shut down your notebook.
2. Unplug the power to your router.
3. Unplug the power to your modem.
4. Wait at least 45 seconds.
5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.
6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.
7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

Further reading: Why can't I find a wireless network?

Let me know if that helps. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Okay i will try these suggestions out and let you know. Quick question though before I start: I only have a modem, i dont have a router, is that okay? and do i need to keep the ethernet cable plugged into my laptop or should i take it out?

HP Recommended

A wireless modem can be an issue, as some of them have a battery back up. If yours has one you may need to remove the battery temporarily to do a proper reset. It's best to contact your internet provider before doing this.

If it doesn;t have a battery backup you can powercycle it like you would a router.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
I did the first thing you suggested: no luck.
So i tried the second suggestion. Upon restarting, the notebook has gone back to where I started: the continuous blue screen restart loop. Error: dpc_watchdog_violation. As soon as I go to log in and put in my password it restarts.
HP Recommended

Odd. Most likely coincidental that it started up earlier. It's unlikely a wireless driver would cause a startup failure. 

Try a system restore to before these issues started: Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎. You'll want to use the options for restoring when Windows does not start in the guide.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.