Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It has been happening continually, sometimes as many as 6 times per day.

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hi

There are few important steps which needs to be done to know why your unit is restarting.

1) Once unit is Powered on keep tapping F10 key go to Diagnostics then run the Hard drive & Memory test in case any test fails you need to replace the part. Please also check if the unit is Over Heating.

How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Sometimes it will freeze with multi colored pastel colored lines going horizontally, inches apart. Other times  it just reboots without warning. I am on my computer a few hours a day and it may happen 5 times. 

roberto

HP Recommended

Hello iworkalone,

What is the product number and operating system of your notebook? 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
HELP!
I've got a hp pavilion g6, all of a sudden when I come to turn my laptop on, it comes on then it says 'your computer has ran into a problem and will reset'. It keeps doing it over and over again! Any ideas what the problem is?? Thanks
HP Recommended

@chambers21 wrote:
HELP!
I've got a hp pavilion g6, all of a sudden when I come to turn my laptop on, it comes on then it says 'your computer has ran into a problem and will reset'. It keeps doing it over and over again! Any ideas what the problem is?? Thanks

Hello chambers21 ,

I am sorry about the issue you experience. I would be glad if I can help you resolve it.

I have some questions for you - I hope you can answer them so that we can easily help you.

• I suppose your computer uses Windows 8, am I right ? If not, what is your Windows version ?
  • Did your Windows come preinstalled into your HP computer or you installed it later on your own ?
  • Is the error message you see like this one (1)  or like this one (2)  ?
  • Have you performed some recent changes (yesterday, this week or last week) to your computer - example hardware change, new external media, software change ?
  • Despite the error, can you start Windows and can you see the Start / Desktop ?

IT_WinSec

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Yes it's Windows 8, and yes it came preinstalled. The error message is the same as number 1! Haven't done any recent changes. And I can start windows for rougly 5 minutes then the error comes up and it resets itself! It was fine yesterday.
HP Recommended

OK. Thank you for providing this information.

Turn on the computer and immediately press the esc key (left side up) to display the Startup Menu, and then press the F11 key.

This will start Recovery Manager. When recovery manager starts , click the Advanced button to see Microsoft System Restore.

*** Windows System Restore is very useful functions - it will revert critical changes to the Windows OS that have been made (example driver changes, registry changes, etc.) exactly as they were before. This option does not affect personal files such as documents, pictures, videos, music. It only affects some programs and system things. System Restore is one of the Windows built-in recovery options and it has been in Windows since Windows XP, up untion now in Windows 8. Learn more about it here

You will be presented with the main screen for System Restore. Now click on the Next button and you will be shown a list of available restore points that you can restore. You will see if any changes have been made.

Select the restore point you wish to restore by left-clicking on the entry once. Choose a restore point from yesterday or from some days ago when you did not experience any laptop issues. This will then make the Scan for affected programs button available. If you click on that button you will be shown a list of programs that will be removed when you perform a restore.

If you are fine with the programs that may be changed, please click on the Close button and then click on the Next button at the restore point selection screen. You will now be at a screen asking if you are sure you wish to perform the restore. Please, confirm.

System Restore will now start. Allow it to run and after that Windows should start fine. 

Please, let me know if this fixes your issue. Or we can continue troubleshooting.

IT_WinSec

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Pressing the F11 key just mutes it and doesn't do anything else!
HP Recommended

OK, when you press the esc button what option do you see ?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.