Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Pro 6430 All-in-One Printer
macOS 12.0 Monterey

Just a general chat here really. I ditched the Instant Ink subscription earlier in the year, when the price increase happened, as I felt it probably no longer offered good value to me.

Now I've used a set of standard ink cartridges, I have some data (albeit only a small sample) on my usage. I used a pair of standard cartridges in about 6 months, maybe a little less. So it does work out to be only slightly more than the Instant Ink subscription (about £40/year vs £36/year). The real world usage is miles away from what HP report to me as my 'saving' for using Instant Ink - that was £46/year, but clearly the real amount is nearer £4/year.

However, a saving is a saving, and I'll take it.

All would have been less soured though, had HP given better information as to the amount of ink they put into the Instant Ink ones, compared to standard (so the customer can make a better informed decision), and to not have increased the price by 50% in one hit (yet still advertise the old price on the website, still enticing new customers into the plan).

All said, after two years of ownership, the Envy 6400 has been performing fine, and does all I need. I'm not going to cut my nose off, even though HP have made some very poor marketing decisions, the cost of ownership is still low, and we're not talking about heaps of cash here, it's just the principles.

I'd probably buy another, in all honesty, as for a light user the replacement heads within the cartridges do seem to eliminate all the clogging issues that others suffer with.

Cheers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.