Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Printer - C309a
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My wife bought this printer almost a decade ago. Many years ago she got a message saying the printer nozzles needed to be cleaned. At the time she wasn't aware there was an option to do this on the printer so she never did it. We went to use it the other day and it says we are out of ink.

Is it worth it to buy new ink?

Will this printer be able to print knowing that the cleaning heads were never cleaned and there is years old ink in the printer?

Thanks for the help

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JohnCali 

In my opinion, let the printer go.

Ten years of service (give or take) is a long time for an inkjet printer.

Things have changed a great deal since you purchased you printer.

Be sure you read what you can about any printer you think you'd like.

If you can find the "Datasheet" (search for printer model + the word Datasheet), all the better.

Read and compare different models.

For example,

Deskjet printers are inexpensive - and do not support Borderless printing.

Top of the Line Officejet Pro 9025 does it all, even two sided, single pass scans, and costs more than many other printers.

Photo printers are very nice but may not have the other features.

How to choose:

Start at the very top of the line and work your way down.

Figure out what is available, the features you want, what you can't live without, and how much you want to invest.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Spoiler

Thank you for the response. I actually bought an HP office jet 9018 (9015 from Costco). Only the old printer seems to have much better specs. Better than any new HP printer available today. It has WiFi printing, which is all I care about.

If I spend the $80+ dollars for new ink will it be able to clean the heads and print like it was new?

Thanks again

HP Recommended

@JohnCali 

You are welcome.

@JohnCali wrote:
Spoiler

Thank you for the response. I actually bought an HP office jet 9018 (9015 from Costco). Only the old printer seems to have much better specs. Better than any new HP printer available today. It has WiFi printing, which is all I care about.

If I spend the $80+ dollars for new ink will it be able to clean the heads and print like it was new?

Thanks again

I don't know.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

I don't have enough background in the subject to predict your chances of success with Photosmarrt printer.

If you wish to do so, there is every reason to try.

Known solutions:

Color or Black Ink Not Printing

I have an HP Officejet 9025 (a step above the 9018) - it does pretty much everything I want.

I can see that an older printer that does all you need and want is attractive.

New is not always "better", I guess.

@Bob_Headrick 

Any words of wisdom for John?

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Printer - C309a 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

How was the printer stored since it was last used?  If the printer was turned off with the printer's switch and some time (a minute or more) was allowed before the printer was unplugged then the printer would have parked the printhead and things would likely be recoverable.  If the printer was turned off with an external switch (such as a power director or outlet switch), or if the cartridges were removed before the printer was turned off it will be more problematic to recover.

The printhead on the Photosmart c309 series is removable.  You can revive a clogged printhead as described in the post here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.