Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 6962

My ink needed replacing (all colors including black) and following replacement I continued to get an error message telling me to remove & reinstall the following cartridges (it will 1st say cyan, then it will say another color &/or all 3.  Occasionally it will appear to accept for a moment until I attempt to copy, print, or run “alignment” and the error messages start again.  I have done a hard reset, unplugging, cleaning, etc. and opened / installed another new set of cartridges.  I have only used non-HP brand ink cartridges due to the costs, and never had a problem (aside from getting a message that the quality can’t be guaranteed) but I’m no unable to copy or print?  This is incredibly frustrating 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@1-0_Ron

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

If you have already performed the steps from the document Print head Errors: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04100778 and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure. 

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/ 

Hope this helps!
Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an Officejet Pro 8710 and have also used aftermarket cartridges without any problem . I have learned there was an update on 4/5/2021 to my firmware,  This was the explanation for it and now I cannot print anything after replacing the black cartridge. So much for helping customers pay too much for ink after purchasing their product. I don't feel protected from aftermarket supplies.

Description:

This software tool will help you update your printer to the latest firmware. Please refer to Enhancement/Fixes for more detail about the firmware update.

Reminder: Dynamic security enabled printer. This Firmware includes dynamic security measures, which are used to block cartridges using a non-HP chip or modified or non-HP electronic circuitry. The printer is intended to work only with new or reused cartridges that have a new or reused HP chip or circuitry. Periodic firmware updates will maintain the effectiveness of the dynamic security measures and block cartridges that previously worked. More at: www.hp.com/learn/ds.

HP Recommended

@Greystone16
Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

Download available firmware updates from the HP website With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

The third-party ink cartridges will work. But there are many cartridges in the market which are refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer.

You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it's not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works. Refer to: Dynamic Security Feature Affecting Cartridges Using Non-HP Security Chip

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, go to the public post & give us a virtual high-five by clicking the "Thumbs Up" icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on my public post.

Have a great day ahead!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have all the latest updates, I have replaced the black cartridge with an HP 952 XL, the after-market color cartridges were already working until the latest HP update. Now NOTHING will print. I was hoping I could at least print black to have my student's papers ready for school on Monday, I home school a 1st grader and this is VERY inconvenient.

What can you do to make my printer work again? The last update is what ruined printing for my printer.

HP Recommended

@Greystone16

Thank you for posting back.

HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges. There are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it's not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works. Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.