cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
JMo8
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Cartridge error after firmware update

HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8710 won’t print after firmware update

My Hp OfficeJet Pro 8710 will not recognize my aftermarket cartridge following a firmware update this morning. 

4 REPLIES 4
Jay_G24
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,891 10,861 795 890
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JMo8,

I'd like to help!

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

The third-party ink cartridges will work. But there are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why its not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

0 Kudos
dirtroadtrader
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

This recommendation absolutely does not work. 

I have kept my printer drivers up to date.  The current installed print cartridges worked perfectly fine until the latest firmware update.  It was the most recent firmware update that has rendered my printer inoperable with my current cartridges.  I have reviewed available firmware updates and you do not have the prior one available for download. Nor do you have the ability to uninstall the latest update.  I need the ability to either (A) Resolve the issue with the existing firmware update to accept the print cartridges that were already installed, or (B) Revert the firmware update to the prior version.

If your recommendation is to try a different cartridge supplier, then I might as well try a different printer manufacturer as well.  But I do not wish to do that.

Please escalate this to higher level support.  I need my printer and it is currently not working due to your last firmware update,

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710

Thank you for your time.

Betty0610
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,386 14,369 746 597
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you using HP Genuine ink cartridges?

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
dirtroadtrader
4 3 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

I am currently using aftermarket cartridges. They were installed and working perfectly for the past 3 months.  When the latest firmware update (released April 5 i believe) was applied, the printer immediately stopped recognizing the cartridges.  HP has done this before to customers. Forcing them to use only HP cartridges.  Please provide me with the link to download and install the 'prior' firmware update so that I can use my printer again.  This is greatly affecting my ability to work from home during the pandemic.

Thank you for your support

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation