Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

How do I go to HP EWS & locate the disable HP chip, so I can use compatible ink cartridges on an older HP model 6968 all-in-one printer?  The current ink cartridge is an 902.  I’m trying to use an 902XL.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Clarky61,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

To use compatible ink cartridges with your HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 All-in-One Printer, specifically the 902XL, you may need to disable the HP cartridge protection feature. Here’s how to access the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS) and disable the HP chip:

Accessing HP Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Connect to the Same Network:

• Ensure your printer is connected to the same network as your computer or mobile device.

Find the Printer’s IP Address:

• On the printer's control panel, go to Network or Wireless Settings to find the IP address. It might look something like 192.168.1.2.

Open a Web Browser:

• Open a web browser on your computer or mobile device.

Enter the IP Address:

• Type the printer's IP address into the browser’s address bar and press Enter. This will take you to the printer's EWS.

Disabling Cartridge Protection

• If prompted, log in with the administrator credentials. If you haven’t set any, the default username might be "admin" with a blank password.

Navigate to Settings:

• Look for the Settings or Tools tab within the EWS.

Cartridge Protection:

• Find the Cartridge Protection option under the Settings or HP Cartridge Protection section.

Disable Cartridge Protection:

• Select Disable or Turn off cartridge protection.

Save Changes:

• Save or apply the changes.

Using 902XL Cartridges

Insert the Compatible 902XL Cartridges:

• Open the printer's ink cartridge access door and insert the compatible 902XL ink cartridges.

Printer Recognition:

• Your printer should now recognize the 902XL cartridges without displaying an error message about cartridge protection.

Additional Tips

• Firmware Updates: Ensure your printer’s firmware is up to date. Sometimes firmware updates fix compatibility issues with third-party cartridges.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.