Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've seen a few posts with the same error. I've replaced the cartridge and cleaned the heads multiple times. I cleaned the cartridge contacts in the print carriage. Printer continues to print yellow instead of red. I assume that has to do with the color of red that I'm using for my test, and that red isn't printing at all. I can see red ink on the print head. 

The scanner still works fine. The printer has had a light duty life, but it is 10 years old and I really have no complaints. Is it time to throw the printer out?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @ADDedValue62 .
Please perform up to 3 cleanings, and skip some when you reach the expected quality level.

a. Load unused plain white letter or A4 size paper in the input tray.
b. Under Printer Software, click Printer Actions and then Maintenance Tasks to access the Printer Toolbox.
c. Click Clean ink cartridges. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Align the cartridges:
a. Load unused plain white letter- or A4-size paper in the input tray. tray.
b. Under Printer Software, click Printer Actions, and then click on Maintenance Tasks to access the Printer Toolbox. b. Under Printer Software, click Printer Actions and then click Maintenance Tasks to access the Printer Toolbox.
c. Under Printer Software, click Printer Actions and then Maintenance Tasks to access the Printer Toolbox.
c. The Printer Toolbox appears.
d. Click the Align ink cartridges tab. The product prints an alignment sheet.
alignment sheet.
e. Load the cartridge alignment page down in the front right corner of the glass.
right front corner of the glass.
f. Follow the instructions on the printer display to align the cartridges.
Recycle or throw away the cartridge alignment sheet.

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.