Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4630 All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Recently purchased new black and color #61XL cartridges at my local Walmart as my existing cartridges were low (black was empty).  Both existing cartridges were 61XL and had performed fine.  I installed the two new cartridges fresh from the carton/sealed foil wrap into the printer, and before it even acknowledged installation of new cartridges and asked to print alignment page, it displayed "Incompatible Ink Cartridge" and the  bowtie symbol indicating the black cartridge.  I opened the printer ink access door and removed the new black cartridge, replacing it with the original black cartridge.  After power cycling the printer, it continued to show the incompatible ink cartridge message.  I removed both cartridges, powered the printer off for 60 seconds by unplugging the power cord, and powered it back on.  Problem was NOT corrected, and now the incompatible cartridge message was for the color cartridge.  I have searched and followed the recommendations from various posts on the same issue on HP groups but none of those corrected the problem.  I reset the printer to default settings but no success.  I extensively searched the internet for instructions on how to address this issue, but was unable to find anything helpful.  I am a retired IT professional with 30 years of service with  a US global personal care products company, and have quite a bit of hands on experience with HP printing products, and the lack of availability of resources to troubleshoot and correct this problem defy my understanding.  I returned one of the suspect cartridges to where I purchased it and obtained a replacement but this again did not correct the problem.  I have now invested nearly $200 in useless new HP ink cartridges.  Had I known in advance that new cartridges would not solve the problem, I would have not purchased them but instead invested that money into a NEW printer as this one is just a HUGE brick!  I have borrowed a printer from a family member so I can continue to print for the time being, but after this incident and lack of resolution, I am considering the purchase of a competitive product.  Please help.  Considering my investment in useless ink cartridges, I would hope that HP would provide me an equal amount of tech support assistance to correct the problem at no cost to make up for my loss.  PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.