Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet 4550 Printer
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I have a problem with ghosting of the previous printed page to the next. The problem characteristics:

1. We are talking about full page ghosting (21 cm approx). This leads me to suspect the transfer unit or somethimg related to it. The ghosting is always the previously printed page.

2. The problem is TIME DEPENDENT. If there is a long enough pause between printed pages there will be NO ghosting. The shorter the time, the more severe ghosting.

3. The printer has very recently been fully restored (re-capped). It was the hope that this problem was somewhat related to old degraded components (mainly capacitors). The problem has not gotten better/worse after this.

4. It looks if it is "black" ghosting but I can not be sure because it's mostly evident for sharp lines such as black text and frames (in Excel) etc.

All parts has been inspected for damage or wear and everything looks good (pristine order).

Status of consumables are: Drum: 90%, Transfer: 5%, Fuser: 60%, C: 50%, M: 20%, Y: 20%, Black: 40%.

Any Ideas or has someone experienced something similar?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Interesting enough I sort of gave myself the solution to this problem...

The fact that the problem seemed "transfer" related and the fact that the unit has run for quite some time.

So I took the unit apart and found that there had actually been catastrophic discharge in one of the high tension couplings, probably creating a high resistance coupling to the lower front roller.

This would actually explain why charge/discharge is dependent on time to complete.

So after carefully checking and cleaning all electrical couplings to rollers etc (also cleaned up most parts in the unit) the printer now prints PERFECTLY. The ghosting effect has disappeared completely.

I hope this information can help other users of these printers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.