Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp 6122
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer is using Windows 10 (64bit)  My  HP 6122 printer using driver 990c  is included in the "devices  and printers" listing  but is not in the "device manager" listing and does not print.  (HP does not offer a driver for the 6122 but it is known to work well with the driver for the HP 990c)

I know the printer is in good shape as I can use it from another computer with a different operating system.  When trying to print a test page nothing happens but the attempt is listed in the  waiting document list.   Some times I get a notice that it is in "error state"  I have tried everything.  Once after trying many things  things and turning off the computer, it printed a test page when I powered up the computer again. (???)  This, I believe confirms that the driver is OK.   I have changed the ports, and checked the print spooler. I have downloaded  the drivers many times and believe all is well except that it is in the error state.  I have tried everything recommended in some replies to others with this problem with no success. I love this printer and it works great (when it works).  I know the answer is just a few clicks away but I can't  do the right thing.  Any help would be greatly appreciate.  This is the first tie I have used the HP COMMUNITY service and hope this inquiry is OK.  If needed for a reply,[personal information removed]

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Fred1708

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.