Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ofice jet pro 6960
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This printer has been working well for a couple of years.  I just had to change cartridges (not the first time), bought an all in one pack from Amazon (I think)...CMY and black in one box.  Fitted them, and got the dreaded error message about older generation cartridges for the magenta and yellow cartridges,.  Cyan and black OK.  Thinking that even HP wouldn't mix up cartridges in a single box, assumed a printer fault.  I've tried all the solutions offered...pulling the plug for a minute, updating firmware (latest installed), cleaning the electrical contact (isopropanol), screaming for divine intervention (no reply), taking extra blood pressure medication, but no joy.  Tried rolling back to an older firmware (it wouldn't).  All apps on the printer are up to date.  OK, let's try putting the older cartridges back in...and, yes, you've guessed it, the C and Y which were working fine are now also deemed to be an older generation.  Please HP, why do you do this to your customers?  It's some kind of cruel and unusual punishment which we could all do without.

HELP!  I really don't want to risk pending another £60 or so on another set of inks.

PS I'm not a newbie at this game, I use and have used windows and linux since windows 3.11, have owned four or five HP printers (they don't seem to last very long but are cheap), and haven't seen this little teaser before.

PPS the inks that were working fine until empty are all dated 2121/07, the ones that started this problem are all dated 2021/01.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Knole, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand you are not able to use the new magenta and yellow ink cartridges due to this error. Apologies for the inconvenience caused. To assist you better,

If this is a genuine HP ink cartridge, I would need some information related to the ink cartridges and the printer which cannot be shared on a public post for security reasons.

I have sent you a private message, reply to the message with the required details.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

BUMP

Surely someone at HP can reply please?  Pretty please??

This printer now has no use beyond being a doorstop (which I don't need).  I really would like this fixed.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Knole, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand you are not able to use the new magenta and yellow ink cartridges due to this error. Apologies for the inconvenience caused. To assist you better,

If this is a genuine HP ink cartridge, I would need some information related to the ink cartridges and the printer which cannot be shared on a public post for security reasons.

I have sent you a private message, reply to the message with the required details.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with an HP909XL black cartidge which has been sitting as a spare for quite a while.
The old cartridge has just run out and I installed the new one.
The message says -
"The indicated cartridge is an older generation cartridge that does not work in your printer.
It can still be used with some older printer models."
As far as I can tell it is identical in every way to the cartridge which was in the printer

HP Recommended

Update:  it seems that if the date on the cartridge (=warranty date) is earlier than the date you put the thing into your printer it won't work.  Probably - maybe.  Furthermore, as it's out of warranty you won't get a free replacement (at least, I didn't).  Why some cartridges report as being "older generation" (in my case magenta and yellow) while others don't despite having the same date, I don't know.  Neither did HP support in a long phone call a couple of days back.

So, if you are in the same boat as me, you are going to have to buy some new cartridges and hope they work, or sign up for instant ink.  I did the latter, hopefully they will work or I'll be back on here.

Bottom line: don't buy more than you need and sit on them for a long time.  I do wish HP made that clear in BIG LETTERS up front (or on the back of the pack).

Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.