Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
G5J38A
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

A HP 7740 printer, 2 months only after purchasing. Using third part- compatible  cartridges, working well. But after 2 months,

I used compatible black cartridge , it indicated not installed correctly. I installed the cartridges again and again, not working. Unplug power cord from printer and plug in, also not work. And updated firmware to update version, disable "cartridge protect" , clean the metal contact chips....It still not working, indicated cartridges not installed correctly.

Can anyone give me some idles to fix it, or return the printer to dealer (within warranty).

Thanks.

Steven Li   

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The latest firmware prevents printer to accept non-genuine HP cartridges.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I have the same problem with third part ink cardrige compatible. Sorry But I Know that I can be free to  use this cardrige, and I know that HP now has 10 million Euro penalty about this problem. So... we need: how we can use Third part cardrige with this new firmware?  How can we downgrade it? I tryed with 1849a but Printer status is Not available... Please Give Us  in Working MODE to use compatible Ink at our Risk!!! (sorry for my English)

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your response. But how to resolve this issues. Original part should be  4 times expensive than the third part one...

Definite I can't afford it.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.