Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet MFP M177fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Color Laserjet MFP M177fw printer and recently I received a message that said the Imaging Drum needed to be replaced.  I went and purchased one and installed it into my printer.  After the installation, I started printing some pages and I noticed that they were not completely perfect.  There seem to be some streaks in the printout and then after a number of pages it stopped printing correctly.  Toner is missing from large portions of the pages and then there are pages that came out with part of the page it was printing and some of the previous page mixed in.  How can it do this?  This is a very strange problem and I don't know what to do.  I tried putting the old imaging drum back in and get the same results.  If I turn the printer off and then back on it will print a couple of pages correctly, but then it will start again print bad.  What can I do to resolve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@whbcwc

Thank you for the detailed response. I'm afraid this seems like a hardware issue. Either the imaging drum is at fault or the printer hardware. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@whbcwc, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are facing print quality issues with the printer. Are you using the Imaging drum from HP?

Make sure the imaging drum is replaced correctly. Refer to - Replacing the Imaging Drum

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your PC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, perform the steps from - Fixing Print Quality Problems for the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M176n and M177fw Printer Series

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  We had a very busy week last week and there just want not time to work on this issue.  So, to answer your question about the drum, yes I purchased  what I believe was a brand new HP imaging drum.  The box was an HP box and it was sealed.  I am very sure I followed the replacement instructions correctly as I have been working in the IT field for some 30 years.  I was able to successfully install the latest firmware as suggested and this did not make any difference.  I have also gone through the steps on the page for fixing print quality issues to no avail.

There is however one step that I am not quite sure about as when I follow the instructions I don't get the same results as it states.  When I print the cleaning page, it says that it will prompt me to load plain letter or A4 paper.  I never get this prompt.  I assume this is because I already have A4 paper loaded in the tray.  Next it will print the cleaning page and there will be a yellow bar across the mid section of the paper.  Not sure if there should be anything else printed on the page.  Then the instructions say it will prompt me "to remove the page from the output bin and reload it in Tray 1, keeping the same orientation."  After printing the page the process is finished on my printer.  What could I be doing wrong?

Do you have any other suggestions?  Could my imaging drum be bad?  How should I proceed?  Thank you for you help with this!

HP Recommended

@whbcwc

Thank you for the detailed response. I'm afraid this seems like a hardware issue. Either the imaging drum is at fault or the printer hardware. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.