Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Gateway T-6330U Computer & HP LaserJet P1102w Printer
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hello,

I just bought 4 toner cartridges for my printer from "Cool Toner".  I installed the cartridge, and a message said that it wasn't an HP Cartridge.  I just ignored it and continued on,  A 9-page document printed perfectly.  But the second time (and every time thereafter) when I try to print a document, nothing happens.  When I check the document info, it just says, "Error - Printing".  I tried cancelling the doc., restarting it, trying to print something different, etc. with the same results.  I tried downloading the HP Print and Scan Doctor, but when I open it, it says there is still an earlier version that supports Vista (which is what I'm running on my computer), and do I want to download that?  I reply "yes", the download starts but nothing happens.  Then a message comes up that says "Download Failed Please Try Again".  I try again and get the same failure over and over.  I also tried going into the printer properties/PORTS and UNCHECKing "Enable bidirectional support".  That didn't work either.

Al I want is to keep using my new cartridge that started out working fine.  Any suggestions, please?

THANK you,

Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You need to narrow down if this is a printer issue or a computer issue. Are you able to print a test page from the printer directly? See this video for demonstration of printing a test page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obrxhu7IbYg

If it prints the test page then more than likely you have a computer issue not a printer issue. While it appears to have happened after changing the cartridge that might be coincidental.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You need to narrow down if this is a printer issue or a computer issue. Are you able to print a test page from the printer directly? See this video for demonstration of printing a test page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obrxhu7IbYg

If it prints the test page then more than likely you have a computer issue not a printer issue. While it appears to have happened after changing the cartridge that might be coincidental.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, the printer DID print the test page.  It was very light, but it DID print!  So I guess my problem now lies with the computer instead?  Strange that it printed 9 beautiful pages and then the next time I went to print it didn't work.

But your answer was VERY helpful, and I thank you VERY much!!!!!

Best regards,

Craig

HP Recommended

FYI, I just restarted my computer and it solved the problem.

THANK you for your help!

Craig

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.