Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 6962 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have older cartridges that i've been using and it appears I've made the mistake of letting my printer update to the latest version which for some reason now makes perfectly compatible and new in package ink cartridges not work.

It seems you all have some offline way to tell users to bypass this issue.  Can you please help me with this solution?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI @skiwe,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The "Older Generation Cartridge" error on the HP OfficeJet 6960 printer is likely due to a firmware update that blocks the use of third-party or refilled cartridges. Here are a few steps you can take to bypass or resolve this issue:

Method 1: Roll Back the Firmware

Check HP's Website for Older Firmware:

• Go to the HP Support website.
  • Search for your printer model (HP OfficeJet 6960).
  • Look for firmware downloads. Sometimes, older firmware versions are available for download.

Download and Install Older Firmware:

• Download the older firmware version.
  • Follow the instructions to install the firmware on your printer. This typically involves connecting your printer to your computer via USB and running the firmware installation file.

Disable Automatic Firmware Updates:

• On your printer's control panel, go to Setup.
  • Navigate to Printer Maintenance.
  • Find and disable Printer Updates.

Method 2: Use HP's Utility Software

HP Printer Assistant:

• Download and install the HP Printer Assistant software from the HP Support website.
  • Use the software to manage your printer settings and look for options to disable firmware updates.

HP Smart App:

• Download the HP Smart App from the app store for your device.
  • Connect the app to your printer and check for any settings related to firmware updates.

Method 3: Bypass the Error Temporarily

Reinsert Cartridges:

• Turn off the printer and unplug it.
  • Remove the cartridges and clean the contacts with a lint-free cloth.
  • Reinsert the cartridges, plug in the printer, and turn it back on.

Reset the Printer:

• Perform a hard reset by turning off the printer, unplugging it for a few minutes, and then plugging it back in.

Method 4: Use a Different Set of Cartridges

1. Purchase New Cartridges:
    • Unfortunately, you might need to purchase new cartridges that are compatible with the updated firmware.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have genuine cartridges.  What am i supposed to do with them if there isn't an older firmware listed?

HP Recommended

HI @skiwe ,

Thank you for your response.

After you install an ink cartridge if you get an older generation cartridge please follow the steps below:

• Please make sure you are using compatible HP cartridges.
  • Please update the printer firmware.
    Sometimes updating the printer firmware helps. Please click here to update the printer firmware.

If the issue persists, Please replace the cartridges.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.