Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer

I am about to throw my printer out of the window. 

I have installed multiple ink cartridges. Each time, I get an error message that the cartridge is damaged, doesn’t have an HP chip, or is not communicating with the printer. This is infuriating as all of the cartridges are brand new from instant ink.

I followed the virtual assistant advice and have done all of the following:

-reset printer

-updated software

-attempted to clean printheads (can’t do that while in an error state) 

-installed other cartridges (I had two of each)

please help! I’ve been working on this for an hour. I tried calling support and waited on hold until my call was disconnected before anyone answered.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Lemg12345 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand your frustration, but let's see if we can troubleshoot this ink cartridge issue together. Since you've already tried several steps, let's delve a bit deeper into the problem.

• Check for Protective Tape: Sometimes, new cartridges come with protective tape or seals that need to be removed before installation. Ensure that you've removed any protective covering from the cartridges.
  • Clean Contacts: Ink cartridge contacts and printer contacts can accumulate dust or debris, leading to communication errors. Use a lint-free cloth lightly dampened with water to gently clean the contacts on both the cartridge and the printer.
  • Reinstall Cartridges: Try removing all the cartridges, then reinstalling them one by one, ensuring they're properly seated in their respective slots.
  • Firmware Update: Ensure that your printer's firmware is up to date. Sometimes, firmware updates include fixes for communication issues with ink cartridges. Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • Replace Cartridges: If you have access to additional cartridges, try using a different set to see if the issue persists. It's possible that the cartridges themselves are defective.

Refer to this document:  HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer User manual

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.