Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M277c6
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have an HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277c6, which I purchased in Oct, 2016.  When printing, the black ink doesn't print uniformly, such that words are not printed in random spots on the page.  It seems like the ink is smearing and not being absorbed into the paper.  I  am using Genuine HP toner and HP Office 20 paper.  I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to fix this problem.  Thank you.  Below is a picture of the issue I am describing.

Sample of printing issue.Sample of printing issue.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @BC32

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the print quality issue. 

To better assist you - 

1) Does the copy works? 

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or devices? 

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page - 

1. From the Home screen, touch the Setup button.

2. Touch the Reports button.

3. Touch the Print Quality Page button.

Post the Print Quality Diagnostic page here so we can help you further. 

You may also refer to this document - Fixing Poor Print Quality

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here are the responses to your questions:

1. The copy function works, but I don't really know if the ink smears on those because I seldom print copies.

2. The issue exists regardless of the application I am using to print.

Here's the Print Quality Diagnostic page output:

IMG_2471.jpg

As you can see from this page, the printer misses a streak along one side and another in the middle.

Please advise as to what to do next.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@BC32

Did you try these steps - Fixing Poor Print Quality yet? 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I did.  I tried printing a cleaning page.  I am using HP ink and HP paper.  I don't think the issue is related to one toner cartridge because the same smear appears on all of the colors printed on the test page.

HP Recommended

Appreciate you trying the steps @BC32

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.