Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4655 All-in-One Printer

My printer works fine in every other aspect. I can print easily from any device. I have tried every test and cleaning process the printer offers. I also have tried different cartridges. The only problem I have is the printer will not print in cyan. Every test page just turns out pink and cyan is very obviously missing. I don't want to buy a new printer because this one has worked so well up until now. Help?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve magenta not printing on your Officejet 4655 all-in-one printer.  Go through the steps in order.   Are the cartridges genuine HP, not refill or reman products?  The cartridges are almost certainly the issue.  You can verify this by removing the color cartridge and gently blotting the nozzle plate on a damp tissue.  A good cartridge will give a strong blot of cyan, magenta and yellow.

If you get to step 14 without resolving the issue you might try the following before replacing the cartridge:  remove the color cartridge.  Get a clean coffee cup and put 1" of hot (but not boiling) water in it.  Put the cartridge in the water with the nozzles facing downward (in the same orientation it would be in the printer).  Let the cartridge soak for fifteen minutes.  Remove the cartridge from the water and gently blot the printhead on a damp tissue.  If the cartridge has recovered you will see a strong blot of cyan, magenta and yellow.  If so dry the electrical contacts with a lint-free wipe.  A clean coffee filter works well for this.  Replace the cartridge in the printer and run a cleaning cycle to see if the issue has been resolved.  

If the first thirteen steps and the cartridge soak do not resolve the issue you will need to replace the cartridge.   HP cartridges do have a warranty, see the document here for information. To get warranty coverage you will need to go to the Contact HP page, then enter the information for your printer At this point it will likely say "Manufacturer's warranty has expired"  To the right of this it will say "See details".  Click the "See details" link, which will open another page with more details.  Near the bottom of the text will be a paragraph that says : 

HP has checked your product information, including the product and serial numbers, to determine your warranty results. The legal warranty expiration date is based on the date of purchase, as indicated on your receipt. If you feel these results are incorrect, you may submit a dispute for review. Dispute this 

Click on the "Dispute this" link which will ask for some additional contact information.  Fill out the contact information, then in the bottom section select: 

Dispute reason  

Issue with my Accessories, Supplies and/or Software. 

In the comment section indicate that you have a defective supply that is in warranty.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.