Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Pagewide Pro 477dw MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This printer has worked flawlessly for 2 years. Then when we came back from a two week vacation there are white lines or "scratches" on all black printouts. It actually looks like the black ink is being scratched by something but that may not be the case. All colors print perfectly. We tried to swap out the black ink cartridge (HP original) but the problem remains. We have tried printhead cleaning several times but it makes no difference. Black printouts are of bad uneven quality in general, but the white stripes or "scratches" in black printouts is the worst. Gray is also uneven.  You can see the problem here: 

I am not able to get the image embedded here so please click the link:

https://i.imgur.com/3Pf3pjT.jpg

What could the problem be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Black ink fade, pigment has separated from the ink carrier and blocks some of the nozzles. This was a common issue and inks with an expiry date earlier than 2021 may contain an outdate ink formulation. The fix is to ensure you have cartridges containing the new ink and then to print 100 entirely black pages on the printer. Make sure your firmware is up to date before you start.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Black ink fade, pigment has separated from the ink carrier and blocks some of the nozzles. This was a common issue and inks with an expiry date earlier than 2021 may contain an outdate ink formulation. The fix is to ensure you have cartridges containing the new ink and then to print 100 entirely black pages on the printer. Make sure your firmware is up to date before you start.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.