cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
cdysthe6
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Narrow white vertical lines or "scratches" on black printouts.

HP Recommended
Pagewide Pro 477dw MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This printer has worked flawlessly for 2 years. Then when we came back from a two week vacation there are white lines or "scratches" on all black printouts. It actually looks like the black ink is being scratched by something but that may not be the case. All colors print perfectly. We tried to swap out the black ink cartridge (HP original) but the problem remains. We have tried printhead cleaning several times but it makes no difference. Black printouts are of bad uneven quality in general, but the white stripes or "scratches" in black printouts is the worst. Gray is also uneven.  You can see the problem here: 

I am not able to get the image embedded here so please click the link:

https://i.imgur.com/3Pf3pjT.jpg

What could the problem be?

1 REPLY 1
Repairatrooper
Level 12
Level 12
7,214 7,140 760 1,961
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black ink fade, pigment has separated from the ink carrier and blocks some of the nozzles. This was a common issue and inks with an expiry date earlier than 2021 may contain an outdate ink formulation. The fix is to ensure you have cartridges containing the new ink and then to print 100 entirely black pages on the printer. Make sure your firmware is up to date before you start.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation