Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficejetPro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OJPro 6978;  Uses HP-902 Ink.  I have been trying to purchase Genuine HP Cartridges since mid-simmer.  Staples, Officedepot, Sam's Club, BJ's, Amazon have not had this Cartridge in stock for over 6 mos.  Even at HP they don't have the 4 Pack nor the Black HP-902XL. I am hearing the same reasons why the 902 Ink is not available today as I heard from HP back in August.  HP has designed their printers so only genuine HP cartridges will work... yet they can now not provide the Ink Cartridges....they make their printers exclusive to their high priced Ink....and now that you cannot purchase that Ink...their suggestion at HP...was to buy another HP printer.

My question to this community, for anyone that has purchased non-HP 902 cartridge's especially in Black Ink, if the Non-HP cartridge worked....please provide a reply with the specifics of that non-HP 902 cartridge so I can make the Purchase.  Providing name of non-HP Cartridge and where the purchase was made...would be very appreciated and helpful.

Speaking with HP today they have actually no Idea when the HP-902 cartridges will be available...apparently HP was solely dependent on Cartridge Manufacturing in ONE Place in the world with no Backup Plan.  I know the Pandemic has impacted many resources but, if the plant where this Cartridge is manufactured burned down....all users of this cartridge would be without this Ink, my point, a good Business plan would have these Ink cartridges manufactured at more than One location.  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@denmarfl, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I do wish to thank you for your reply....but nothing further from HP so it would appear my issue is not important.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.