Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro x476

Is there any news or updates on how to resolve the print head issue that seems to be common among the x476 printers. The issue being the ink not being dispensed out of a 1 or more element in the print bar. I believe I was able to narrow down the issue to a faulty circuit board on the side of the print bars. My reasoning being that for the printers that threw a print head error I would disconnect one wire then turn the power on to see if the error occurs. The only time the fatal error wouldn't appear was when the print head's circuit board was disconnected. Normally I would just swap the bad board out but it seems to be a major pain to remove being that it is tied in with the ink system. I know there have been many people that have had the print head issue whether it was via an error code or the missing segment on the quality sheets. But I just would like to ask this community if they have tried methods that somehow worked. And if so I would be grateful to hear about those methods.

This is one example of the missing segment.This is one example of the missing segment.

Thanks in Advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Jonathan_V,

When we get big unprinted sections, most of the cases that is an indication of clogged ink passages, clogged nozzles or faulty ink delivery system.

Make sure you only use original HP cartridges that are not expired.

If your printer is under warranty you can call HP tech support for investigation. If your printer is out of warranty you will need to take it to a repair center for inspection and potential printbar replacement.

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Yeah, these are definitely out of warranty and I do know how to replace the printbar myself, but compared to the price we got the printers for and how much a good printbar costs, it just isn't cost effective enough to buy the printbars. And we do buy original HP cartridges in bulk so there is a chance that some may have expired, so I will definitely look into that.

HP Recommended

I'm having this exact problem, also on the magenta color and in the very same location on the printbar.  My x476dw has about 31K pages printed.

Since previous poster "Andcr" comments that this is likely caused by clogged ink paths or nozzles, has anyone tried loading an ink flushing solution into a refillable cartridge and printing with this until it has moved through the printbar and onto paper?  I own several large format printers from an HP competitor and this is commonly done with similar problems (though these are not pagewide like the x476).  I'm thinking of trying this (using a product called Piezoflush from InkjetMall) but I'd be interested if anyone has already tried it (and your results) and also if there is advice on whether this would potentially cause irreparable damage.  The printer is long out of warranty and I can't justify buying a new (or refurbished) printbar, but I'd like to see if I can get this solved.  FYI, I've already run the tap 21 test with no improvement.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

I haven't tried using a ink flushing solution. I have tried many different options besides that such as, performing print-head recoveries, cleanings, alignments, manual cleaning of the print-bar, and even a more extreme measure of laying a printer on its back while doing a recovery (This was mentioned in another persons reply in response to the same issue. Has something to do with too much air in the ink system.) On a side note, our printers are averaging around 100K pages printed when this print-head issue happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.