Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet D1530
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Ok so ive seen lots on here about black ink cartridges not printing with black ink. 

My D1530 has been working fine for last 6 years and suddenly stopped  printing with black ink. I removed the black cartridge and replaced it with two new ones with no affect. I resorted to just using the triple colour which you can in this model but still it didnt print so i decided to get my spare brand new unused D1530 out of the attic (bought at same time in 2015 as the other one. Loaded two new cartridges and the same problem. It will not print from the black cartridge. 

Now that printer cannot be ink clogged the cartridges were genuine HP and brand new and it still doesnt work so im kind of thinking that an automatic software update has caused this and i hate to have to say is this HP's way of forcing us to upgrade? 

I am really annoyed as i have a brand new printer that does not work. 

If this is the case i will not be purchasing another HP printer again. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Gillian121,

I'd like to help!

Try the below suggestions -

Run a Print Quality Diagnostic report

Use a Print Quality Diagnostic report to check if the printhead or ink cartridges need to be cleaned or if there is an alignment issue.

1. Load plain white paper in the tray.

2. Print the report.

• Printers with a touchscreen or menus: On the printer, open the Settings or Setup menu, touch Tools or Reports, and then touch Print Quality Report or similar.

• Printers without a touchscreen or menus: Go to 123.hp.com or your app store to install the HP Smart app. Click the picture of your printer on the home screen to open printer management options that include the report.

Print quality report

3. Check for issues indicated on the report, and then follow the instructions provided to resolve the issue.

Run the automated printhead or ink cartridge cleaning tool

Clean the printhead and cartridges to resolve print quality issues including incorrect colors, streaks, and faded prints.

1. Load plain white paper in the tray.

2. Run the cleaning tool.

• Printers with a touchscreen or menus: On the printer, open the Settings or Setup menu, touch Tools or Printer Maintenance, and then touch Clean Printhead or Clean Cartridges.

• Printers without a touchscreen or menus: Go to 123.hp.com or your app store to install the HP Smart app. Click the picture of your printer on the home screen to open printer management options that include the cleaning tool.

3. If the page that prints has defects, the printhead might be badly clogged. Run up to two more cleaning cycles.

Check the paper, print settings, and quality of the file being printed

Make sure your print job is set up for optimal print quality results.

1. Check the paper type and condition: Make sure the paper is appropriate for the print job and in good condition.

• Some paper might not absorb ink as well as others, causing faded or smeared prints. Plain paper with ColorLok technology works well for text and documents with graphics. For photos, use HP Advanced Photo Paper for best results.

• Use clean, wrinkle-free paper. Wrinkled or curled paper can cause dark, horizontal defects.

2. Load paper according to the print side: Typically, the smoother or glossy side is the print side.

• For inkjet printers with a rear load tray, load the print side facing up.

• For inkjet printers with a front load tray, load the print side facing down.

3. Check the print job settings: From the application you are printing from, click File > Print, and then click Options, Printer Setup, or Preferences, or open the Paper Type/Quality or Media & Quality menu.

Make sure the color, paper type, paper size, and quality settings are correct for your print job.

4. Check the quality of the photo or document: Use editing tools to improve colors, brightness, contrast, and any other appearance settings. Higher resolution photographs and graphics result in clearer prints with more accurate colors.

You may refer - No black ink, wrong colors, other print quality issues

If the issue persists, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. Referring back to my original post. Two printers exactly the same, one fresh out of the box cannot both have a fault due to a clogged print head. Even whrn using the single cartridge mode with a colour cartridge neither will print black. Cleaning the  heads several times prints out nothing in black at all either with ir without a black cartridge inserted. Paper is good same I have always used. Ive covered everything but I keep reading about this ho firmware update stopping aftermarket cartridges from working. That is the only  likely change as nothing has changed in the way thd printer has been operated 

HP Recommended

There was no new firmware released for your printer.

You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

There are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it is not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

I have given up and binned all three HP printers  and bought myself two Brother laser printers. 

The cartridge issue is too much of a time wasting problem to deal with. It grieves me to throw away three perfectly good printers that dont work especially when i have tried an expensive genuine cartridge in it. Im not wasting any more money on HP

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. My mother-in-law also had the same problem. She was able to get hers working. I tried to do the same but my printer doesn't have the same menu options as she does.  I'm ready to toss mine and get another brand also.

HP Recommended

HP ENVY 5660 printer will not print with black ink.  It prints fine with color.

HP Recommended

Its so disappointing that the problem is one that applies to many models of printer so as far as im concerned its clearly a problem with either HP or an issue with Windows 10. 

I have now updated to two brother laser printers that use the same toner cartridge and drum and if they last like my samsung one which is 15 years old and still working ill be really happy. im disappointed that in an age where we are encouraged to repair items that things become obsolete beyond our control. 

I hope you find a solution

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.