Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi. I started today with a very simple challenge: print out some promotional cards, approximately postcard size, on our HP OfficeJet Pro 8720.

I purchased Staples glossy photo paper, thinking I would print two cards per page. However, the images blurred, since this is a laser printer. Returned to store.  None of the glossy paper in our local Staples store is apparently suitable for laser printing, so I looked for matte.

I purchased matte Staples "Notecards" paper, also size 8.5 x 11".

Placed in main printer tray, however, this slightly heavyweight paper jams the printer every time.  I selected "thick paper" as the paper option in the printer preferences, but the printer keeps jamming.

Accordingly, I tried to feed the cardstock in from the top tray. However, there does not appear to be any simple way to actually use the top tray for feeding in paper.  It seems to be designed to feed in documents to copy only.  

Can anyone please advise?  Surely the investment in this printer does not disallow one from printing presentation-grade cards?

Thank you,

JT

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JT38

The Officejet Pro 8720 is an inkjet printer

Print method: Drop-on-demand thermal inkjet printing

Paper used in the printer should be labeled for Inkjet printing.

Media Weights

Cardstock is supported as long as the weight of the paper is within the limits provided in the Specifications.

Tray 1
Paper
60 to 105 g/m2 (16 to 28 lb bond)
Up to 250 sheets of plain paper (25 mm [1 inch] stacked)
Photo paper
300 g/m2 (80 lb bond)
Up to 50 sheets (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
Envelopes
75 to 90 g/m2 (20 to 24 lb bond envelope)
Up to 30 envelopes (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
Cards
Up to 200 g/m2 (110 lb index)
Up to 50 cards

Supported Paper Sizes

See section

Paper Handling > HP Officejet Pro 8720, 8725,8728 printers > Supported Cards

Supported Custom Sizes

Paper size
Tray 1
ADF
76 to 216 mm (3.0 to 8.5 inches) wide and 127 to 356 mm (5.0 to 14.0 inches) long

127 to 216 mm (5.0 to 8.5 inches) wide and 241 to 305 mm (9.5 to 12.0 inches) long

From the documents in category How to > Print > Instructions & Settings

Set you  Media type (kind of paper) to something relative to the weight of the paper.

Most manufacturers include the weight of the paper on the package in which the paper is purchased.

For example: 

• HP Brochure Matte paper is 180gsm (or perhaps 150 gsm depending on region / product)
  • HP Presentation Paper is 120 gsm
  • Index paper is as marked on the package. 

If the supported paper size list for the Media type (kind of paper) does not include the size of the paper you want to use, create a Custom Paper Size form from one of the supported forms of the same kind of paper.  

Example:

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Left-Click on your Printer one time to highlight >

Left-Click Print Server properties (along the top ribbon menu)

Devices_and_Printers_Print_Server_Properties_1Devices_and_Printers_Print_Server_Properties_1

Custom_Form_Index_Card_9x12Custom_Form_Index_Card_9x12

Although the Dragon Document was not written for this exact purpose, it does how to use Word to create / print a mixed image / text document on other than "standard" paper.

Print Photo 5X7 Main Tray

Reference

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware, Videos, Advisories, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Our HP OfficeJet PRO 8720 refuses to print on 24lb paper.  The standard 20lb paper also will not print if more than about 50 pages is in the tray.  This has been an issue since day and we have had zero help from anyone about it.  All anyone can say is to use paper shown in the specifications page.

When you look up the specifications - it says nothing about the weight of the paper only the size.  I see no reason that 20 or 24lb paper would pose an issue with an "office" printer, espcially one that is advertised as "the perfect cost savings solution for a small business" printed directly on the box it came in.

The only paper that it will print on without fail is the cheapest 20lb paper that Office Depot carries.  Try using that to impress clients.

HP - did you ever intend for this printer to live up to "OfficeJet" standards?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.