Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Anyone know how to stop the test page from printing every time I change the color cartridge? I don't need to waste the ink!

HP Recommended

@lobster14 wrote:

Anyone know how to stop the test page from printing every time I change the color cartridge? I don't need to waste the ink!

It is normal and necessary for the [unknown model] printer to print an alignment page when a cartridge is changed.  Depending on the model the alignment process calibrates the operating voltage and temperature in addition to the alignment.  Even if the alignment process could be skipped that would be a bad idea as the printheads would not be operating under the optimum conditions. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I am a PC technician.

After I saw 5 canon printers of the same type (Pixma MP520 and two MP540) dying unexpectedly with the same root cause - motherboard error, I returned back to HP's. There is probably something in Canon printers causing their "death" after some time of using to buy another one.

I haven't seen this on HP. There are other problems, also with the motherboards, but they don't seem to me as "programmed death", as at Canons. Thank you HP guys for a quality product!

I have also met problem with the annoying semiautomatic aligning page mentioned here. This was caused by

1) Bad scanner (it is enough to have something in it way causing not exactly linear movement), on normal page must not been apparent,

2) Dried color cartridge user does not need and buy

3) After refilling the old cartridge with not enough transparent color or with some nozzles clogged (HP guys probably does not like to hear it)

There are two my solutions (tested on PSC1510):

1) Press Cancel button at start of printing the align page - until next turn off of the printer will not bother you

2) get somewhere test align page, it is not necessary to be from the same printer, but from the same or similar type, and finish alignment with this "fake" test page; after this keep it for the next cartridge changing.

HP Recommended

hp laserjets prints test page for different fuctions availble ls

HP Recommended

hplaserjet 33oo prints test printing of Laserjet Director about its icons and functions giving disturbace in the job.

HP Recommended

Hi community!

☑️ First, you can check these steps: 

• Remove the sheets of paper from the printer so that the printer does not start printing the alignment pages.
  • Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected to the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

☑️ If the printer continues to print alignment pages then I suggest you to perform the steps from this An Alignment Page Prints Every Time that the All-in-One is Turned On or Off or a Print Job is Starte.... Though these steps also help in fixing alignment failures.

And you can update your drivers, here: HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

Agatha
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.