Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

Suddenly, my printer is printing thin, red lines across every document I print. I've aligned and cleaned the printhead (4 times) and don't know what else to do. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @frannif,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 is printing thin red lines on every document despite aligning and cleaning the printhead multiple times, there are several potential causes and solutions you can try:

1. Check Ink Levels

Ensure that all ink cartridges have sufficient ink. Low ink levels can sometimes cause printing issues.

2. Use Genuine HP Cartridges

Ensure you are using genuine HP ink cartridges. Non-genuine or refilled cartridges can sometimes cause print quality problems.

3. Update Printer Firmware

Make sure your printer's firmware is up to date. Firmware updates can fix bugs and improve performance.  Update the firmware on an HP printer

• Go to the HP Customer Support website.
  • Enter your printer model and select the appropriate operating system.
  • Download and install any available firmware updates.

4. Clean the Printhead Manually

Sometimes, automated cleaning isn’t enough. You can try cleaning the printhead manually:

• Turn on the printer.
  • Open the ink cartridge access door.
  • Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.
  • Unplug the power cord from the printer.
  • Remove the printhead and clean it with a lint-free cloth and distilled water.
  • Reinstall the printhead and cartridges, then plug the power cord back in and turn on the printer.

5. Run a Diagnostic Print

HP printers often have a built-in diagnostic tool that can help identify and resolve issues.

• On the printer's control panel, go to "Setup" > "Tools" > "Printer Status Report" or "Print Quality Report."
  • Print the report and check for any issues indicated.

6. Check for Obstructions

Ensure there are no obstructions in the printer. Paper debris or other foreign objects can sometimes cause printing issues.

7. Check Printer Settings

Ensure your print settings are correct. Sometimes incorrect settings can cause printing issues.

• Go to "Devices and Printers" in Windows.
  • Right-click on your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 and select "Printing Preferences."
  • Check the settings and make sure everything looks correct.

Refer to this document: HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer User manual 

HP OfficeJet 6900, 8010, 8020, 8030 printers - No black ink, wrong colors, other print quality issue...

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @frannif,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 is printing thin red lines on every document despite aligning and cleaning the printhead multiple times, there are several potential causes and solutions you can try:

1. Check Ink Levels

Ensure that all ink cartridges have sufficient ink. Low ink levels can sometimes cause printing issues.

2. Use Genuine HP Cartridges

Ensure you are using genuine HP ink cartridges. Non-genuine or refilled cartridges can sometimes cause print quality problems.

3. Update Printer Firmware

Make sure your printer's firmware is up to date. Firmware updates can fix bugs and improve performance.  Update the firmware on an HP printer

• Go to the HP Customer Support website.
  • Enter your printer model and select the appropriate operating system.
  • Download and install any available firmware updates.

4. Clean the Printhead Manually

Sometimes, automated cleaning isn’t enough. You can try cleaning the printhead manually:

• Turn on the printer.
  • Open the ink cartridge access door.
  • Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.
  • Unplug the power cord from the printer.
  • Remove the printhead and clean it with a lint-free cloth and distilled water.
  • Reinstall the printhead and cartridges, then plug the power cord back in and turn on the printer.

5. Run a Diagnostic Print

HP printers often have a built-in diagnostic tool that can help identify and resolve issues.

• On the printer's control panel, go to "Setup" > "Tools" > "Printer Status Report" or "Print Quality Report."
  • Print the report and check for any issues indicated.

6. Check for Obstructions

Ensure there are no obstructions in the printer. Paper debris or other foreign objects can sometimes cause printing issues.

7. Check Printer Settings

Ensure your print settings are correct. Sometimes incorrect settings can cause printing issues.

• Go to "Devices and Printers" in Windows.
  • Right-click on your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 and select "Printing Preferences."
  • Check the settings and make sure everything looks correct.

Refer to this document: HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer User manual 

HP OfficeJet 6900, 8010, 8020, 8030 printers - No black ink, wrong colors, other print quality issue...

I hope this helps. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions. Appreciate your time and knowledge.

HP Recommended

HI @frannif,

That's great! I am happy to hear that the issue has been resolved. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accept as Solution on the public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Gaya1239 

HP Support

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.