Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
M281fdw

Hi there.  My printer was working wonderfully, and then this morning I accepted a SW update to the printer and now it refuses to recognize my non-OEM cartridges.  My printer settings are set to not require HP OEM cartridges, but this software change appears to have overridden that.  Anyone else had the same problem and know how to fix it.  I literally can't WFH without it working - HP's only solution to me was to purchase their over-priced toner!!  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I happened to have the complete set of HP-cartridges from the first installation.
They are recognized and print.
I then installed a complete brandnew set of non-OEMs – not recognized!

Need a solution, fast!

Solution here: downgrade the firmware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/jpgpp3/hp_laserjet_pro_m280_m281_printer_series_20200612/

After the firmware is installed, turn the printer off and on.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

How do you set to OEM vs. non-OEM.  This is such an anti-consumer policy it's not even funny.  

HP Recommended

I have the same problem - but i live "out in the woods" and no shop for toner around.

Is there any onther help possible?

HP Recommended

I happened to have the complete set of HP-cartridges from the first installation.
They are recognized and print.
I then installed a complete brandnew set of non-OEMs – not recognized!

Need a solution, fast!

Solution here: downgrade the firmware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/jpgpp3/hp_laserjet_pro_m280_m281_printer_series_20200612/

After the firmware is installed, turn the printer off and on.

HP Recommended

Thanks everyone for their responses and Rhj63 for the solution!  Printer is back working and firmly locked against any further HP ‘ransonware’ as I now like to call it!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.