Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
MFP M281fdw

Hello, my printer did an update yesterday and now it will not accept the non hp laser ink cartridges.  I have read the community forum questions on this and have checked to make sure that in settings that cartridge policy and protection are "off". I also refuse to pay nearly $100 per cartridge just to use this printer. The same printer cartridges were in my printer working the day before the update.  They do have microchips on them.  Where in the software update did you bury the code to not allow any non hp supplies and how do I undo it?  If you want to mandate that, then you must lower the cost of the hp cartridges so everyday people can afford them.  Please help, I have been an HP computer and printer purchaser for years.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have with my HP Color Laserjet MFP M281 fdw EXACTLY the same problem

and in the Netherlands this HP action is forbidden by law, as repeated some years ago with HP inktjet cardridges

HP Recommended

I have precisely the same problem with yesterday's (11-20-2020) update to my M281.  This is also illegal in California.  Does anyone know how to get some direct help in fixing this from HP short of threatening a class action suit by letter to HP's legal office?  It would certainly be helpful if it were possible to simply call someone from support to report the problem with the company's update, but getting someone to speak (or even live chat) with appears to be impossible.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Where can we turn to for help?

HP Recommended

We all have the same error since this corporation updated the firmware.

Does anyone know where you can get the old version which worked with non HP cartridges.

I for one will be taking this up with Trading Standards in Ireland and my TD, it is disgraceful.  I do not know how this can be legal but I will find out if some form of class action could be arranged.  I am in lockdown and working from home and have not been able to print contracts or documents without going to the office, this break the COVID rules in Ireland forced by the behaviour of HP to break my printer, without notice, so they can charge 4 times as much for toner than is widely available.

If I get exposed to the virus by HP because they automatically downloaded this update and crashed my printer the lawsuit will be great fun

HP Recommended

Reprogramming the printer with the previous software solved the problem. You have to so no to automatic updates, otherwise the problem will reappear. The provider of non-HP cartridges provided me with the correct previous software.

HP Recommended

Excellent thanks, I bought through amazon so they will help I am sure rather than get a refund.  Annoyingly I bought new ones this week because the printer stopped working so the old ones probably still work!

Will stop automatic upgrades....

Best

GW

HP Recommended

Worked like a charm, supplier sent be firmware update and all fixed.

Thank you so much!

Graham

HP Recommended

problem solved!

I have uninstalled the printer software in Win10 and installed the firmware with

LJM278-M281_UWWL_4_1_Full_WebPack_44.7.2712 (dot) exe

after that the printer is OK with the existing cartridges

HP Recommended

Could you please supply the contact information for the supplier that helped you fix this problem.  I have spent way to many hours trying to remove and reinstall my original software with no result.  Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.