Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer

After my last ink cartridge is finished, I have purchased more 3 ink cartridge for my printer, which is not cheap, and none of them is working. On my printer display it shows an error message "INK CARTRIDGE(S) PROBLEM. THE FOLLOWING INK CARTRIDGE(S) MUST BE REPLACED" This error message has blocked me from accessing the printer menu, which makes it difficult to at least scan with the printer. I am tired of buying ink cartridges, which may not still work. There are no refunds for the ink cartridge purchases so far, and the ink cartridge is not cheap. The price of the ink cartridges already purchased is far more than the printer cost. Honestly I feel so cheated by HP. Please I will appreciate any information on how I can at least use the printer to scan documents since scanning has nothing to do with ink cartridge. And likewise, I will also appreciate information on how I can remove the error message blocking me from accessing the printer menu. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Charles_811 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand the trouble you're experiencing with your HP Envy 4500 printer. It sounds frustrating to be unable to use your printer even for scanning due to an ink cartridge issue. Let's try a few troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve the problem:

• Restart the Printer: Sometimes, simply restarting the printer can resolve temporary issues. Turn off the printer, unplug it from the power source, wait for a few minutes, then plug it back in and turn it on.
  • Check Cartridge Installation: Ensure that the ink cartridges are installed correctly. Remove each cartridge and reseat it firmly into its slot. Make sure they are properly snapped into place.
  • Clean Cartridge Contacts: Ink residue or dust on the cartridge contacts can sometimes cause communication errors. Remove the cartridges and clean the contacts gently with a lint-free cloth or cotton swab dampened with distilled water. Allow the contacts to dry completely before reinstalling the cartridges.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Visit the HP website and check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer. Updating the firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues and improve overall performance.
  • Reset the Printer: Perform a hard reset on the printer to clear any temporary errors. To do this, turn off the printer, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer, wait for at least 60 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord. Turn on the printer and check if the error persists.

Refer to this document:  HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer series User manual

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Dear Gaya1239,

Thanks for taking your time to offer probable solution. I have tried the the hard reset, as well as your further explanation, but unfortunately the issue is not resolved. 

Updating the firmware is what I have not been able to do yet, because the display dashboard of the printer is blocked by an error message, so I can not access dashboard, to connect the printer to a network to facilitate the firmware update. Please if you know the way around to update the printer firmware, considering that I can't access the Printer dashboard to enable me connect it to network, please I will really appreciate the information. Currently I still stuck with the Printer so seemingly useless for now. Thanks for your effort.

HP Recommended

Hi @Charles_811,

Thank you for your response, I appreciate your efforts. As the issue persists, I am sorry to hear that I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.